Ipod Question

Coytee

Bought an Ipod many moons ago (160 gig version).  Been working and still works fine.  I use it primarily when I'm operating machinery or maybe working around the house (been framing in and drywalling the wife's mud room)

Bought new car.  Car has a USB port.  My light goes off....  why not copy things to a NEW Ipod and I can put that in car so I've got the library of music with me.

Getting to my point now:  Bought a new (used one in good condition), had utter FITS getting it to be recognized by Itunes.  Finally got it done.  I tweaked the library to include more.  Thought I'd update my original Ipod.....and now, I get the same error on the original Ipod that I had with the new one.

Is this programmed in such a way that "ONE" Ipod mates with your Itunes, making it near impossible to simply have 2,3, 323 different Ipods with your library of tunes on it?

When I was unable to get the new Ipod working, I went out and bought a memory stick.  It is actually the cats meow because it holds more BUT, it doesn't (so far) seem to be able to play any live DVD concerts that I've ripped.  That might be operator error....  so am working on it.

Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to go solder some pipes, thought I'd stick my earbuds in.....and the (original) Ipod is blank.

From a practical viewpoint, it seems as though I can only mate ONE Ipod with the system....is this true or am I really the dumbazz that I aspired to become?  (or both??)

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

It does....gives me something to look for!

It's a topic that gets less attention since iPods have been discontinued But, I have 3 iPods (don't ask) and an iPhone. They all have different names and the iPhone has a different library than the iPods. It's all in how you sync them in iTunes. As I recall, you clear them, name them and then manually sync them. You don't need any software other than iTunes nor do you need multiple iTunes accounts. Do a search on multiple iPods but be aware, there is now a dearth of info from Apple {since they discontinued them years ago).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update and question....

I've copied a lot of music onto the memory stick (512 gig stick).

I noticed that some ripped DVD's or Blue Ray's didn't work...and some did.  I think I traced that back to the file type that was saved when they were ripped (but I do not know that)

Tried a couple times and I WAS finally able to get the concerts working in the car.  Good.  I had different fits trying to get BOTH Ipod's to sync with the Itunes and finally decided (or figured out?) that it seems Itunes is meant to pair with ONE Ipod, not two.

Shrugs shoulders....

So I did some organizing of the files because they were scattered.  This got my 'master file' updated so I copied it to the memory stick.  Now, I have duplicates.  No problem.  I end up deleting everything off the stick and copy all back on.  I formatted it.

Now, I'm back to no live concerts are working.  They don't even SHOW on the stick when I look at the menu in the car.  Brought it back in, reformatted it again, copied again...same thing.  I reformatted in NFTS (or whatever the newer version is) and it didn't work, so attempted to reformat again, back to the old FAT (I think) style...or whatever was original on the stick.  I have even clicked on its 'restore' command.

Well.....  NOW, the car sees NOTHING.  I mean NOTHING.  I can put stick into computer and see ALL the files that are on it.  I take stick to car and insert it and the car reads NOTHING on it at all.  Zero, nada, zippo.

I'm wondering if the stick might have gone bad.  Hard to think so since it's essentially brand new and has no moving parts.  So I'm confused as to what might be the issue.

Any thoughts?

Right now, I've got a 2 1/2 hour (one way) trip for Thursday so my backup plan is to take the Ipod which will work, it's just not as clean of a setup as the stick.  Five hours in the car in remote areas......I want to have something else with me!!