DTS vs. DD

JasN00b

DD & DTS are six discrete channels of information, whereas ProLogic was two channels of info broken up into 5 channels. Both are a dramatic improvement over the ProLogic formats. You must have a DTS DVD player, DTS processor, and DTS source(which is hard to find on most rented DVDs)in order to hear the films in DTS(Digital Theater System). You must also go into your set up option at the beginning of the film to change the format to DTS. A couple of films that I own that are recorded in DTS are: Gladiator, Pearl Harbor, U-571, all sound incredible. I just bought Star Wars Episode II, but it is recorded in DD, and I don't think it sounds near as good.

IMO if you have the capability to use DTS, always choose that format over Dolby Digital. There are members on this forum who know a lot of the technical aspects of HT, HornED and The Ear are two that come to mind, they are an excellent sources of information.

I hope this helps, 9.gif

Come to think of it, it has been some months, maybe almost a year, since I've seen any new DVD's released with a DTS sountrack. Anyone have any news about what's up with the DTS format, particularly as it pertains to new DVD releases?

----------------

On 12/31/2002 9:45:48 AM whell wrote:

Come to think of it, it has been some months, maybe almost a year, since I've seen any new DVD's released with a DTS sountrack. Anyone have any news about what's up with the DTS format, particularly as it pertains to new DVD releases?

----------------

WHAT?!?!?!

There are tons of movies that have came out recently with the DTS format. I got some DVD's for Xmas and they have DTS. Austin Power's Goldmember for example. Also Panic room and behind enemy lines, but I don't know how long ago they were released.

DD and DTS are two companies competing against each other. People go both ways deciding which they like better. Its your choice. Do a search for DD vs DTS and I'm sure you will find many of the past debates over this in the past forum posts. Probably enough to fill a book.