Dual SVS 20-39 CS-Plus w/Samson S1000 amplifier vs. Dual SVS 20-39 PC-Plus

Kain

Disregarding the price, which "package" would you prefer and why? Actually, my main question is this: Is a powered subwoofer better or a passive subwoofer with external amplifier?

Secondly, would you prefer to have one of these two "packages" or a single SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier?

Kain,

It seems like the SVS website said that the Ultra is equivalent to two of the CS-plus's. I agree with ears, having a separate amp gives you alot more flexibility too. If you want to upgrade amp then you have a pare amo to do something with. If you want to add another passive sub it is easy to do if you get the ultra and the 1000. In a while you may want to make it a dual ultra system. Anyway that woofer in the ultra is bad a$$. I should be getting my duals today.

EJ1.gif

I e-mailed SVS asking this:

Hi,

I wanted to know if there is any performance difference between the dual SVS 20-39 CS-Plus w/Samson S1000 amplifier and the dual SVS 20-39 PC-Plus.

Actually, my main question is this: Is a powered subwoofer better or a passive subwoofer with an external amplifier?

Secondly, how would these two "packages" compare to a single SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier?

Thirdly, how will the SVS PB1-Plus and SVS PB2-Plus/ISD compare to the above mentioned subwoofers?

Thanks,

Haris

I got the following response:

Hi Haris,

The dual CS+/S1000 package will sound nearly identical to a dual PC+

package of the same size. The CS+ might have the slightest edge in

maximum output capabilities <25hz(because the enclosure doesn't have to

hold the amp)...but the PC+ models would have the auto-on feature,user

selectable tuning points with electronic highpass control(subsonic

filtering) and the 0-180 continuous phase control.

Either of these systems would have a definite advantage over a single

Ultra...in the 3-4dB range. In other words, the single Ultra is worth

about 1.5(ish) PC+ subs in clean output capabilities.

The PB1 is going to compare to the current PCi subwoofers. So it isn't

quite in the same league as the above models. The PB-2 will be

approximately equal to 1.5 25-31PC+ subs...which will be about the same

as the Ultra down to the 20hz range...under 20hz...the Ultra may still

hold the slightest edge.

Tom V.

SVS

I have twin SVS Ultra and an older 18" Velodyne. When I compare the twin Ultras to the single Velodyne I like the twin Ultras. The output of each is about the same (twin Ultras compared to single Velodyne) but having two subs provides more placement options. In some rooms colocating the SVS may be best but in my room placing one in each of the front corners is best. Placing them separately smooths out some of the low frequency response peaks and dips in my room resulting in smoother, fuller bass. The single Velodyne, regardless where I place it excites a nasty +14 dB room induced peak in a narrow band around 36hz and the result is a boomy tendency. With the twin Ultras located separately the peak is only about 8 dB which makes quite a difference.

For my money I would go with twin subs as opposed to one big one. I like the Ultras but the other subs you are considering should do a great job in the twin configuration. One thing that I think is a must on a twin sub set-up is to have a variable phase control for each sub as opposed to a phase switch which gives you the option of 0 or 180 degrees only. In my system I find a phase setting of about 30 degrees works best. I run both subs at the same phase since both subs are equal distant to the listening position in my room. If I go 0 or 180 degrees I get big dips at different points between 20 and 100 hz. 30 degrees seems to be a good comprimise.

Now the SVS powered models have the variable phase control knobs if I'm not mistaken. In this case it is simple to set each subs phase differently if needed. If you go with a passive sub then you will have to have some method to phase them separately if required by placement. I use an outboard Paradigm Crossover. The powered models have phase control and lots of nice features built in which provide flexability and set-up simplicity.

Just my thoughts,

Doug C

KAiN64,

I was looking at the amp features on the PC sub at the SVS site. It really does have a lot of nice features. Speaker level & line level inputs for example. I run my RF-7's full range with a tube amp and use speaker level connections to my crossover and then on to the subs. I prefer the speaker level hook-up as opposed to the line level on my system (bass just seems to integrate slightly better with the mains). With the SVS amp on the PC sub it would be easy to experiment with both. Line level with interconnects directly to each sub or speaker cables from amp to each speaker and cables from each speaker to each sub?

Auto On/Off is nice and the 0-180 degree variable phase control is almost a must for multiple subs. The more I think about it I would probably opt for the powered version if in your situation since it has so many nice features. You can duplicate some of these featrues with outboard crossover devices but it becomes more complicated (more cables & boxes) and you have to have room in your rack for more amps, boxes and cables.

Obviously with my Ultras the only choice was a separate amp. I really like the Ultras, but now that I have the amp, extra cables and external crossover it would be nice to have all the features that the PC amp provides. All the hook-up options you would want integrated into one neat package.

Just my thoughts.

Doug C

Why the amp outside

Very simple and logical!

First no nasty vibrations,the type you get when an amp is mounted inside the sub cabinet.To sudden pressure changes.

Second the amp is away from the large magnetic field produced by the woofer's magnet.

Third you can start with a less powerful,lesser quality amp and move on up to a high quality brutha like say a Bryston 14ST(yeah yeah overkill).

Four,optimal ventilation.Sometimes a sub is positioned in a spot near heaters or where humidity is a bit higher.With the outboard amp you can place the amp with the rest of the gear,or in a custom ventilated closet.

And I cound go on...but I think these four should be plenty 1.gif

TheEAR,

Thanks for the reply, however I have one more question.

My home theater room is about 14 feet by 14 feet. Should I get dual SVS 20-39 CS-Plus w/Samson S1000 or dual SVS 16-46 CS-Plus w/Samson S1000? My main priority is home theater.

For HT you get a bit more output with the SVS tuned to 20Hz.The 16Hz tuning is great if you are a pipe organ fanatic.In other words if you want to hear Pomp & Pipes in near full glory.

Size should not be a consideration,a bit taller for the 16Hz tuned SVS will not ruin the day.