Early Cornwall II restoration

912E

Question: it seems like I have a good original set of early Cornwall II's with desired component drivers. The can style capacitors have a lifespan, so replacing them is expected in order to maintain sound quality. It seems that replacing them should not detract from their originality. There are multiple options for updating the capacitors. None of them, to my knowledge, are an exact replacement. There's the Dayton/Sonic path (among others, I'm sure) and the JEM path. From what I'm gathering, the JEM supplied capacitors might be a better match to the original. That seems like a good goal to me, to attain the original sound the speakers were able to produce. Do the other options (Sonic/Dayton/others) improve the sound in anyway?

Thanks for the loads of help so far!

• Like 1

get a hold of forum member Crankysoldermeister or Deang ( same person ) he will steer you right on what would be best

i've bought 8 sets of his builds and he is the only one on this forum i would trust for crossovers

1 hour ago, 912E said:

Question: it seems like I have a good original set of early Cornwall II's with desired component drivers. The can style capacitors have a lifespan, so replacing them is expected in order to maintain sound quality. It seems that replacing them should not detract from their originality. There are multiple options for updating the capacitors. None of them, to my knowledge, are an exact replacement. There's the Dayton/Sonic path (among others, I'm sure) and the JEM path. From what I'm gathering, the JEM supplied capacitors might be a better match to the original. That seems like a good goal to me, to attain the original sound the speakers were able to produce. Do the other options (Sonic/Dayton/others) improve the sound in anyway?

Thanks for the loads of help so far!

the JEM  capacitors are klipsch approved and tested by klipsch  , they sound like klipsch speakers  do when they are new .and they do not cost more than Aftermarkets , 

Aftermarket capacitors  have a ........different sound   , less natural , some say more metallic

In my situation I purchased Crites complete crossovers for my 79 Cornwalls. The originals had been updated with “meh” caps. The Crites were a drastic improvement. Now I do intend to experiment with other caps on the originals eventually, but I got La Scalas and spent money there. Rebuilt using JEM kit and it was an improvement. All that said do you really know what they “should” sound like? I recommend the JEM kit. If it’s anything like the kit I just got for some Heresy II it’s cheaper than others. YMMV

• Like 1