Klipsch Quartet Crossover Recovery

A little bit of a long story. A coworker brought me a pair of Quartets that he had another coworker upgrade the stock quartet crossovers with parts from PartsExpress.  He brought to me because after the upgrade the speakers sound terrible..  I do repairs and restorations here in Charleston, SC so he thought I might be able to straighten out.  When I look at the crossovers everything seems good.  I’ve done Klipsch crossovers before and he had a very well trained retired Navy Electronics tech who works with us do the work. She did the four caps and the 40 ohm resistor.  Cap values are good and I’ve looked at it compared to pics and the schematic and it seems perfect. Problem with the sound is that the squawkers are out.  No sound. When I check the resistance across the squawked leads from the crossover I get about .5 ohm without the squawked attached.  Does that make sense?  THanks for the help.

6 minutes ago, anhingasc said:

She did the four caps and the 40 ohm resistor.  Cap values are good and I’ve looked at it compared to pics and the schematic and it seems perfect. Problem with the sound is that the squawkers are out.  No sound. 

I've had recapped crossovers come back with dead squawkers turned out to be cold solder joints on the caps I reheated the connections and moved the wires around and then they worked, just happened to be the same on both crossovers very odd but I was able to fix it with little work. 

When you work on these, you have to flip the board back and forth, and if you're not careful, the lead connections to the PCB from the autoformer can be compromised. I would resolder those connections.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 10:42 AM, anhingasc said:

Sorry for the delay in responding, COVID and work travel.  So I reworked the PCB joints for the autoformer and still nothing from the mid?  Everything seems to check out, but I have two crossovers and neither is working right?

may be a stupid question but i didnt see this mentioned regarding the dead mids... did you check the mid driver itself for proper ohm reading that will show if its bad?  i would be checking that first before taking a reading of the crossover outputs.