Heresy II impedance and crossovers.

Brian Levy

I have a pair of Heresy II, 1 has a rectangular backplate and the other has a round one. Both a marked 4 ohms. All the literature I have found shows the HII as 8 ohms. Were/are they available in both impedances? Is there any differences between the crossovers? I've searched the site but can not find anything on either issue.

• 2 weeks later...

The markings describing the type of network (on the barrier strip/crossovers) indicate what you have. This will give you an idea about what you are looking for.

You may have Heresies with two different networks in them.

Al K. (check under speaker upgrades) should know the answers. You can replace the inductors and upgrade the capacitors if you want. There also are plans for redoing the Heresy crossovers. The prices for good parts does get expensive. The impedence should be 8 ohms.

Tomorrow evening or Monday, I will repost the values that I got from this forum in the past year.

Good luck.

Here is a composition of previous posts referring to the various networks in the Heresy speaker. I am not sure whether you can remove the backs of your speakers or need to take out the woofer to have a look. I have filled in prices that I obtained from www.partsConneXion.com.

Anybody know the value of the chokes/inductors on the E-2 crossover for the Heresy?

Matt, It has a 4mH inductor, $47.70 (Solen), a 33uF capacitor, $9.75 (Solen), and two 2uF capacitor, $20.55 (Hovland), plus the T2A autoformer. I have the schematic but no way to send it by computer, I can send it by mail if you'd like. I'm sure if you e-mailed Trey Cannon he could e-mail it to you. He's been very helpful, be patient it may take him a while to get to your e-mail. Let me know if you want me to send you a copy by mail. Dan

Heresy IIs

I used 3 -1.5uF Auricap, ($18.15 for Hovlands) and 1 - 68uF Solen capacitors, $16.15 ,  and 1 - 2.4 mH, $36.90 (12 awg) and 1 - .15mH Solen inductors, $6.55 (14 awg). It takes a while to get the parts from Solen.

The hardest part was to get all the new parts to fit. All of the new parts are MUCH larger than the original ones. You have to get pretty creative. I think the better solution would be to build the new crossover on a board and attach that to the bottom of the

Bob G, Trey, or any moderator, can you shed any light on the Type D network?

I think the Type D is relatively rare, at least in the number of years in which it was used. But that is not a problem for you.

The networks for all the Heresys and H700s manufactured between 1965 and 1984 I have seen are very similar. They all have the same inductor in the woofer circuit to roll off the woofer at 700 Hz, and the same autotransformer to match the more efficient tweeter and squawker to the woofer. With the exception of the last few years of production, the network changes appear related only to matching the woofer, which changed many times, to the tweeter and squawker, which were essentially constant for about 20 years (K-77 or K-77-M and K-55-V).

My 1965 and 1972 Heresys have Type C networks with a 1 uF cap and a 2 uF cap. My 1975 and 1977 Heresys have Type E networks with two 2 uF caps and uses different taps on the T2A than the Type C. My 1984 Heresys had Type E2 networks which were the same as Type E except they had a 33 uF cap added, apparently necessary because of the change to the K-53-K squawker. I always wondered if there was a Type D crossover. Looks like it was used sometime between 1972 and 1975.

Don

My understanding is that the D-style network, which was only found on production models utilizing that letter designation for a very short time period, became called the E-style network upon the decision to reverse the polarity of the tweeter and midrange connections on the "D" network, which resulted in the letter change to the "E" network. This is based upon the DOPE from Hope, Volume 15, No. 1, dated 1 May 1975. One may also peruse the Dope from Hope Volume 12, No. 3, dated 26 July 1972 for a bit more explanation about the networks from the Heresy introduction in 1957 until that time.

Thanks everyone. These are IIs and therefore the back is sealed. I've had them for some 15 years and I'm not looking to make any changes but was more curious to understand why 1 backplate was round and 1 rectangular and since I've only seen 8 ohm versions whether my 4 ohm versions were scarce, unigue or something else? Bottom line and IMHO the only meaningful thing is that in my current setup they sound good. I use them with a McIntosh MC2105 ss amp and MX110 tube tuner/preamp in my main system. I previously had been using my Bozak Symphonys but, they are being moved into my 2nd system.