went speaker reviewing today, thoughts

prodj101

well, I went out demoing speakers today, and can say I wasn't impressed with some of them. sorry ears, but the Dynaudio's just didn't do the trick for me. I tried out the Audience 7's I think. And they just weren't close to as good as the comporable B&W's (the CM-4's). And as for B&W, I used their Nautilus series book shelf speakers on the Cannonball Aderley SACD "Know What I Mean?" and the saxophone detail blew! thats all I can say! it sucked. It wasn't dynamic, it wasn't set apart from the other insturments, it just sorta blended in with them all. Even my SF-2's pull it out alot more than they did, and the DIY shelfs I made do an excellent job of it. I know it's not just that my speakerse color it a ton either, because more expensive speakers I've used all play it very dynamicaly, and pull out the saxophone very well. The sax is also recorded at a pretty high level compared to the other insturments, so it should be. but anyway, back to the dynaudio's. The bass in the B&W's was just about 3 times cleaner, and more natural sounding. the Dyn's were more boomy sounding. but anyway, I did alot more listening than just that, but I'm to lazy to type it all up, and I'm sure most of you wouldn't want to read a 3 page post.

The Dynaudio boomy? Where did you fish this? BTW the Dynaudio Audience 70 are way more detailed then the POS B&W you compared them to.The edgy B&W metallic dome tweeter is crude compared to the soft dome used by the Dyaudio.

In fact B&W starts to get serious only when you reach the Nautilus level.The CDM series also would be worthy of some praise.

You are the first to link BOOMY and Dynaudio.I tell you what is boomy the Klipsch Synergy are as boomy as all HELL.I sold my SB2 and SB3's WHY they were boomy and had a hollow sound I could not get rid of even when placed on $600 stands filled with sand and 5 feet away from walls!

I pit my Contour 3.3's against ANY B&W,aganist ANY Klipsch...any day.And I know Klipsch as well as B&W.The Contour 3.3's blow the all but the B&W 801's and Signature 800!That is right

Dynaudio boomy! Hell,ProAc overrated Tablette series have more coloration.I was deciding to purchase the Contour 1.1 or the Tablette Signature(the tiny monitors,dont remember the model)and I wanted to like the Tablette Signature better.Well on the BAT VK60 amps(configured in mono)I heard lower midrange coloration that made me purchase the Contour 1.1 and never look back.

Dynaudio boomy! LOL

The Klipsch RF3 can be boomy at times,the RF5's are less(and with placement this can be negated).RF7's are boom free,impressive for such large boxes with large mid/bass drivers.

I must agree with Ears here. However, maybe too much praise for the Contours. They do sounds wonderful but ANY BW? ANY Klipsch? I don't believe you have heard every klipsch speaker it could be compared to, and having heard them all now with the exception of the Belle (Home audio, not pro such as the Jubilee) I somewhat doubt that the Contour can beat out the K-Horn and the Nautalus, which I think you appeneded actually. 1.gif

Boomy? Never. Probably one of the more musical, if not most, musical speakers I have heard if you like that style. I prefer the more inf your face sound personally, hence why i have Klipsch.

For sweet sweet midrange B&W and Dynaudio shine above the Klipsch speakers with the exception of some models that are properly connected to high quality components. B&W puts me off with the lack of UTTER detail like what Klipsch gives.

Heck. I am only 18 and not nearly as established/experienced as Theears, but I am entitled to my opinions! Gotta love this nation.

Justin, nothing wrong to have a peronal opinion.I respect all you said.But when I hear someone say Dyanudio is BOOMY my blood pressure goes way up.

BTW I said I would pit my Contour 3.3's against any Klipsch or B&W,and it true.Did not say they were better on all things and to all people.Each person is looking for someting in a speaker,to each his/her choice.

But Dynaudio ...BOOMY! EXCUSE ME 11.gif

I guess I calm down now

I heard the Klipsch Cornwall,Belle,LaScala and the legendary K-Horn.I love the sound(if I did not I would not have so many Klipsch speakers!)but prefer the Contour 3.3's on most material.Klipsch shines on hard rock,heavy stuff.Dynaudios are great all around,they do just about all the right way.

Me I have both Klipsch and Dynaudio

Problem solved 1.gif

Yeah I am a selfish SOB,its always about "I" LOL

the bass in the dynaudios just wasn't as clean as the bw's. everyone that was in the room aggreed. I compared them both side by side, on exactly the same material, bw's took the cake. and no, it wasn't a situation where they were hooked up to one of those cheap splitters and stuff, they were both hooked up to a balanced audio amp and pre amp, and a balanced audio cd player.

I never like auditioning loudspeakers in showrooms...you never hear what the speakers you're auditioning are truely capable of, plus equipment, showroom, and placement always changes the sound for the worse. Comparing loudspeakers side by side sucks...it's been my experience that the farthest loudspeakers sound the worse (placement problems, no sweet spot, etc.).

I'm not debating with anyone concerning the the sound of B&W and Dynaudio because I never seriously auditioned any of them before and I'm not familiar with their sonic characteristics...they're both great in my book.

I've been fortunant enough to be able to audition loudspeakers I was interested in at other people's homes instead. My first serious purchase was a pair of JBL L-112 Century II 3-way monitors in '81. I read up on these beforehand, and considered buying them. It just so happened that one of my dad's friends had a pair, so I was invited to audition them in his music room properly set up, with SAE amp/preamp, and sources from Nakamichi and Thorens...I loved the sound they produced in his room properly placed with good gear, so I bought 'em (I still own them today). Same situation for every other brand I've owned from Bose, BES, AR, and Magnepan...someone I knew already owned them, so I'd audition them at their homes. The Cornwalls belonged to my dad, so that was a given. 2.gif