Best Soundcard for 4.1s

BigDan

Just ordered my 4.1s and looking to upgrade my soundcard in the very near future as it is a big POS (Riptide PCI Audio Device... i dunno, came with the comp :P) and I doubt it will do my 4.1s justice. Currently I am looking at creative labs offerings, as they seem to be the industry leader. Im looking for a good economical card, I dont really need all the bells and whistles (so the Audigy 2 Plat. is out :( ), and after just buying these speakers I wont be able to afford them either. :P

Just need a good card that will work well with the speakers.

-Dan

I used to use the Audigy 1 (original) and found that it had skipping & popping problems with all types of recordings (and during game play). For that reason, I recommend staying away from the Audigy 1.

I now use an Audigy 2 Platinum (just installed it an hour ago) and the sound is terrific.

If you don't want all the bells & whistles, purchase the Audigy 2 (not the Platinum version, just the regular version) and be happy as a clam! :)

Depends.

If your into gaming, they I would definitely recommend the audigy series...the audigy 2 if you can afford it. The SB Live! 5.1 ain't a bad card either, if you want a budget gaming card. Just get something that has EAX

If your not a gamer, then I highly recommend the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (TBSC). My roommate has one with a 4.1 system attatched and it sounds better then my audigy when playing music.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

if music is more important then choose the cards in this order (best one on top):

m-audio revolution: $100 retail

turtle beach santa cruz: $80 (support for it is soon to end)

hercules fortissimo III (solid drivers) $50

audigy 2 $130 ($200 for the platinum)

audigy 1 (does NOT do 24bit/96khz playback) $100

for games simply reverse the list but with the audigy 2 first.

if you want a very well balanced card at a very good price then

go for the hercules fortissimo III.

*note: all prices are retail.