Using SET for HT

Deang

Kelly---What? I think what I said makes perfect sense, where does it not? Fella asked a question and I answered.

I have been cranky lately, no lie. I'm about to do one of my periodic retreats from this hobby. Everything is up for sale except my Altec 605s, my Denon HT receiver and my DVD and LD players. ASL, HK, Dynaco and Fisher tube stuff, Altec and JBL speakers, drivers and horns--everything.

It's time to chill-out, forget the gear and read some books and watch some movies and listen to a little music. The 605s and Denon will fit the bill. Or maybe one of those neat Sony combo DVD player-recievers. I'm not kiddin' either.

Why are you selling those little Fisher amps, Tom? Those are neat little amps! You might regret selling them. Just keep a few things of quality and sell the rest. I understand the mindset as I have been there many times as well. But why sell the neat stuff? ASL? Yea...but some of that stuff if getting too expensive to replace.

kh

Kelly---Simplicity my friend, simplicity. As I near retirement (one year from tomorrow, my 54th birthday) I look around and I just have too much stuff and I'm drowning in it. It's holding me back, not just my hi-fi stuff but more basic stuff like my house and 30 something years accumalation of junk. I'm a prisoner of my own property.

But you can look at any single item and say "Oh, this is good I'll keep this" and next thing you know you're up to your elbows again.

So the SA-100s have to go, and the 80Az, and the 4648s and the A5s and just about everything. The 605s sound great and are small (at least by horny standards) and will work in an apartment. The Denon is smooth and unobnoxious; it calls no attention to itself. Just what I'm looking for now.

If I ever want to get back into this stuff, and I will, I'll be able to afford the kinds of things I'll want. Or even things I don't know I'll want. :-)

Tom,

Thanks for the encouragement. I was going somewhere but then I lost my directions; thanks for the compass also.

I understand your mood--why not post a list of all the stuff you have for sale? Then if the "guys" by it at least you will know where it is, see reports about, and maybe even reaquire it at a later date?

....Sort of a prodigal child approach.

And Kelly...remember that nervosa term I liked so much on Craig's website? I think you might still have it...put a little SS in your diet, 'ya think?

Cornwaller

Nervosa? Me? I havent bought any new gear in over two years except some cartridges, tubes, and a vintage tube amp from another forum member who I still owe. In fact, you will probably see me cycling through less gear than most on here. Although you see me posting frequently, you dont see me trading a lot of gear in for the latest, greatest, although I have been on the search in the past.

I have liked the solid state amp on occasion but gave up on solid state preamps over a decade ago, although quite a few have made there way through here since. Sadly, many of the modern tube offerings can have unmusical qualities as well. It seems hard to do the line stage right.

kh

I have tried watching movies in PHANTOM mode with my Cornwalls. It works but I like having a center channel better for dialog (concert DVD's might be an exception). I started with this setup (two Cornwalls in phantom mode). I then added a center and then surrounds. I found each addition to be a notable improvement althoug I'm still tweaking the center speaker type and surround placement.

I just sold my C7 center so I'll have a few days back in Phantom mode to watch the final disc of "Band of Bros".

I'm just saying what seems to work for me....I'm certainly not stating it's universily better or suggesting others should do the same.

Tom, well first, congrats on the impending retirement. It must feel good to be approaching that phase. It can also be a liberating experience to clear the decks down to the essentials, even if it means saying sayonara to a few cherished, if seldom-used, pieces.

I echo your sentiments on the Denon. It is a smooth piece of equipment and it sounds fine for movies, TV and DVD-based music. When I had the Anthems running off the pre-amps out, I was dealing with heat issues in the cabinet and just wasn't blown away enough to keep them in situ. One could argue that they're marginal PP amps, and I would agree, and I haven't had decent SET in there.

I did, however, pop an MC-30 on the center channel where most of the dialogue and sound emanates in movies and music, and I couldn't hear a demonstrable difference there.

So, bottom line, running the Denon was "good enough" ...

The 2-channel system is a different story --

Interesting, Mdeneen. I dont know what that says about what it was in the first place, but I do see where you are coming from. I guess the closest I would get to that is just selling all the BIG item stuff inlcuding the Cornwalls, and just listen to my old Linn, EICO integrated, CDP, and some nice near field monitors on stands. Everything else seems to be desert in a way.

Just wondering, why didnt you offer some of this gear for sale on the forum?

kh

Well, that's rather simple. He didn't want to come here and get raked over the hot coals for giving up his stuff. We would have accused him of being demonically possessed.

I can certainly see where it would get old. I have days myself where I question my own sanity. Of course, I don't really have loads of gear, and consider my main system to be rather uncomplicated and straightforward. The second system will be even less so: Cornwalls, Scott, and a Marantz DVD player. I guess it might make one crazy having mounds of this stuff around them -- like being buried alive by it.

The computer bit is interesting. However, I'm stuck behind one all day -- and really don't feel like being around one after I get home. I did post some during my stay at home this last couple weeks, but it was sparingly.

Well Mark, the important thing is to have fun with music!