Internet Radio

dkbks

As most of those on this forum are primarily into audio for the music, I thought I'd pass on my experiences with Internet Radio. Jazz is my main music interest and in the past, it has been difficult to decide what to buy, especially new artists.

Reviews might be a guideline but you can never be sure if you'll like what the reviewer likes. Radio has been the traditional way to hear new things but if you're a jazz fan (or classical or many other areas other than pop) and not in a major metropolitan area, there was little or nothing available.

The internet now offers many many choices for listening from regular radio stations (usually FM ones) who offer streaming audio feeds to internet only music channels including Spinner & Netscape radio.

These ofered me a much greater choice but I was not thrilled with the sound (I have a decent set of Cambridge Soundworks, not Klipsch) nor did I always want to be sitting near the computer. What I wanted was to listen thru my Cornwalls while in my recliner.

So I looked for ways to send the sound output from the PC to my stereo. My budget was under $100 which eliminated promising options such as the Turtle Beach Audiotron. A simple analog feed from my sound card (a Santa Cruz) allows too much interference & noise from the electronics of the PC. After much searching, I came up with 2 possibilities: devices from Xitel.com and the Sonica from m-audio.com/, a maker of professional sound cards & equipment. The Sonica sells for $80 & uses a optical cable (not included) to connect from the USB port of the PC to the stereo. Xitel offers 2 choices: for $50 a small USB device to convert the PC signal and 30' of what looks like a decent quality analog cable (RCA jacks.) For $100 or so, they sell a slightly larger device with your choice of analog output, digital output or optical (toslink) output. They also include 30'each of all three cables!

This last choice seemed to me a good deal as the cable alone can cost quite a bit if you price them at Ratschack. So I bought it. Fortunately, my computer is in the dining room and with the 4 feet or so of cable from the USB connector to the converter itself, the 30 foot cable was more than enought to reach my NAD receiver. I chose to use the digital cable since I had a spare input on the receiver.

How does it sound? Much better than I expected. Better than the local FM stations thru the tuner.

I am very pleased with the sound.

Disadvantages? All sound from the PC is output this way. If you want to play a game or whatever, you need either to pull the USB connector out or use the Control Panel to switch audio back to the sound card speakers. Also, no remote control.

A long post to be sure, but I felt I should share this source of a terrific varitey of music.

This may sound like blasfamy but I listen to a talk radio AM station (700WLW) via the internet and an ADSL connection. My building was built about 130 years ago and I just can't pick up an AM station to same my life that's only 1.5 miles away. And this station blows some serious smoke. In the car I can pick them up from home (Cincinnati) to the Ohio and Michigan border with ease. I can't run an external antenna (I asked) because the building is on the Department of Interior's Registry of Historical Places and that just wouldn't fly. I was going to try a Tivoli radio before I take one home to use in my kitchen. So, yep internet radio is very cool.

When it comes to Internet Radio Jazz... find KCSM... it is an all jazz 24 hour a day public radio station... no news... no commercials... just jazz (well and three pledge drives a year). For years, there was an all jazz commercial radio station in San Francisco (KJAZ) but then it got rapped, hip hopped, rock and rolled to death. A couple of years ago, the extensive jazz library of KJAZ was willed to KCSM... which is on the campus of the College of San Mateo... a junior college!

The DJ's on the station are jazz professionals... including many oldtimers... who are, sadly, checking out to that bandstand in the sky. In there place are decendents... like for the late Clifford Brown, there is Clifford Brown Jr. ...and the beat goes on. Try it, Jazman and Internet radio buffs, you'll like it! =HOrnEd

I can only listen to Internet Radio at work, as I cannot get ANY reception in my inner office.

For the past 8 months, I have been hooked on Margaritaville.com. Jimmy Buffetts station. All music, no commericals, a WIDE variety of music, and lots of special stuff, including Live Concerts from JB.

They also just started a "Vinyl Hour", playing nothing but vinyl recordings. Pretty awesome!

HornEd - Right on about KCSM!

Jobman