First Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Black Walnut Mock up!

mobile homeless

Back on topic...I think they're beautiful.

The tranny looks small, especially compared to my AE-3 DJH. Of course, my AE3 has a cover over the tranny, so I guess it's conceivable that it isn't all that big either.

Maybe I missed the posts regarding it's sound. It must sound good, or you wouldn't be letting us in on it. Well Kelly, what's the deal here -- is it time for me sell the AE-3?9.gif

Dale,

Absolutley no offense taken. I am completely convinced that this will not be your last set of amps. But If I were you I would way out your next purchases very carefully. Way out the type of music you listen to, the volume you listen at and so on. Don't rush down any road that someone else recomends just because they say they love it. If you like music at 100 db and they like it at 85 db. If you listen to Rock and Roll and they listen to Jazz the requirments for the best sound are completely different. Take your time enjoy what you have and then decide what you feel is missing and then start looking. If you can't pin point whats missing than nothing probably is !!

Craig

Craig, kudos for your diplomacy.

Dale, let me translate ... If you're old like me and rarely listen to music above 95 db, SET may be okay.

If you're young and spry like Craig-o, you'll need some serious wattage to drive the db's to a level that would make a stone bleed.

Craig, did I get that right? LOL.

I think were all on the same page now, part of the fun of this hobby is the work in progress , if not for that we'd have no fun with it . I'm sure the dynaco's will be stuning to say the least. Not to mention the pre-amp .

well i'm not going to take up any more space on kelly's " PIMP " post . lol 9.gif

Your guy's are to much !! I really don't turn it up that loud very often. I just did with the Mark III's and my ears litterally hurt. I just had to see how far they would go and still sound clear I had to of hit 115 db ! Well I couldn't get there my ears started to hurt !! 90% of the time I never exceed 90 db .

Jeff should read this thread I think the Marks are right up his alley !!

Craig

Well, Craig and me are the same age, more or less listen to the same music, and have similiar listening habits. However, I find 100db with peaks of 105db about all I can take. At any rate, I consider 95 db to be extremely loud, and as a general rule -- don't go much beyond that.

In my limited experience, and I find this very odd, that to my ears -- 95db with SET seems almost as loud as 100db with push-pull. I've been analyzing this lately, because I don't know if it's the prominence and increase of 2nd order harmonic distortion in the output being generated by the Apollos -- or if its simply related to the increase in sound terrain that the Apollos produce in my room. Is the amp distorting, or is my room overloading? At any rate, the sound is very clean, but I sense something setting me on edge at the higher SPL's that I did not experience with the Superamp DJH.

I think this is the only area where push-pulls move ahead over SET -- lower distortion at higher output. Of course, it's a painful tradeoff. I don't know if the extra 6db push-pull provides is worth giving up the texture and intensity of SET.

CRAIG; here's a pic of the monsterous rb-1090 (380 wpc) ss that is.

This power hungry puppy is near 100lbs and a wooping 10 inchs tall, it's so hard to move on a shelf that they built in caster rollers on the bottom at the back. This amp drives my k-horns now.

The amp above it is a rb-993 (200 wpc x 3) it drives my lascalas and the CF-7 center channel. Above that amp is a pair of audio control phase coupled activators ( digital bass restoration units) They pack some serious punch to the bass.

As i said in the original post that started me down the tube road. I wanted to build a seperate two channel system for listening to softer music passages. My kids are both going to start music lessons so i wanted something very accurate for them to hear and play along with.

The ss gear will remain downstairs with my ht system .

post-10527-13819246121388_thumb.jpg

DEAN: The plan is to run the k-horns with the mark III'S and jeffs pre-amp along with my rotel RCD-991 cd player. It has a real decent built in DAC so should sound allright.

As we talked on the other thread / my plans are to replace the k-horns with a pair of RF-7's to run along side my lascalas- - - CF7 center ---- SW-15 & SW 300 to complete my ht set up .

Interesting.

I think you are going to run into some major timbre matching problems in your HT room.

How big is that room?

What preamp are you using on the HT system? Are you doing psuedo HT, or do you have a processor?

What do the Scala's do? Rear channels?

What is "Jeff's preamp'?

DEAN: jeffs pre-amp is the one this thread is about. 6SN7 SRPP

The room is 18x20 and the processor is rotels-985 THX DTS etc etc

The plan was to mod the lascalas with altec 511-b horns / they are in transit to me as we speak. The wider dispersion horn may help out using them as mains in the ht set up.

The rf-7"s would be for the rears for now. I do like them and could move them through out any one of my set ups as i see fit in the future. I know what your going to say , the RF-7'S would be a waste in this application. But from my vantage point, if i'm going to buy more speakers then i want them to be universal down the road.

Think i remembered all your questions . The 985 does have a lot of set up features for trimble matching speakers of various impedences. Distance, volume pre-set, delay time, pink noise generator with volume pre-set ( wich i use a digital DB meter for set up to match output volume of each speaker ) etc etc etc .