Cornwall 1- Questions

Jsherry58

I'm a newbie and just started re-gathering equipment. I got pretty lucky and within a year, I have a set-up I'm very happy with. Marantz 2245 (45 watts) (soon to be replaced by a 2325 (125 watts), being reworked), an AR-XL turntable, and last night I just set up a pair of '77 Cornwalls and LOVE them. They sound amazing. Wish I had kept the stuff I had when I was in the Air Force in '77, I would have saved a bunch of money, but probably would have replaced it all anyway... never had Klipsches, couldn't afford them. I have the Decorator Series Cornwalls and I think I'll leave them as they are for sound until I've listened to them a while. I would like to re-finish them, but not sure what to do. I cound lightly sand them to bare wood then lightly oil them ( I think?) if not veneer? Or I could veneer them with walnut, which I have been successful at before. Are these capable of a light sanding? I really need to get rid of the 'orangish' color someone stained them, it's ugly. Speaker grills will not come off, thinking someone must have added the 1/4" quarter-round? or is that normal? Thanks, John

717401742_Cornwallcornershot.thumb.jpg.613c5d22b23e000f03cc6074b1e3ee7c.jpg

image.jpeg.d6358b9bf20272a81a437f7a0ec477d7.jpeg

-Mark-

klipsch Heresy mains (1980)

klipsch Heresy center (1981)

klipsch Heresy surrounds (1985)

klipsch AW-650 (Atmos)

Dual BFM THT subwoofers

miniDSP 2x4 HD/UMIK-1/REW

Crown X1000 pro amp

Sony STR-ZA2100ES receiver

Sony UBP-X700 UHD player

Sony PS-LX310BT Turntable
Hisense 65H9G 4k Quantum ULED TV

APC C10 power filter

klipsch McLaren T5 II wireless earphones

klipsch image one over-ear headphones

klipsch R6i in-ear headphones

klipsch The One Walnut

klipsch Cinema 400 soundbar

klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX computer speakers

Cornwalls with Stereo.jpg

• Like 1

@Jsherry58

the speakers are  Raw Birch Cornwall Decorators , so Cornwall speakers without grilles ,     the cane grilles were stapled later on , the cabs were stained and covered with  varathane  which yellows with age .

Rather than sanding  , remove the finish with paint stripper ,or diluted  mineral spirits  +  0000  wool .  the rest of the prep work  will come easy  

4 hours ago, OO1 said:

@Jsherry58

the speakers are  Raw Birch Cornwall Decorators , so Cornwall speakers without grilles ,     the cane grilles were stapled later on , the cabs were stained and covered with  varathane  which yellows with age .

Rather than sanding  , remove the finish with paint stripper ,or diluted  mineral spirits  +  0000  wool .  the rest of the prep work  will come easy  

Thanks 001. That's helpful. Unfortunately, it looks like small nails were used to secure the quarter-round to frame the grill. I'll have to 'pop' that off and go from there. the sides look to be a birch plywood. Then I'll have to decide whether to go back with grills, or leave them naked.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 9:48 AM, billybob said:

They look better with the grille's on. Is there a reason you want to remove? Congrats!

Thanks and welcome...

@Jsherry58

Thanks for the reply Billybob. I like them with the grills too, just need to see them without the grills to determine which direction I want to go. I may need to replace the cane grills with another fabric or another cane since the current is loose and pretty worn looking. I will likely go with a walnut stain, or veneer, so not sure what will go with that finish... The main thing is they sound awsome! John

• Like 1