next generation discovers horns

leok

For any number of debateable reasons, Klipsch abandoned the 3-way HT market under 2 years ago. It would have semed that the world was no longer interested or sufficiently educated so that 3-way, horn-loaded (tweeter and mid) systems made sense. But, in marketing, a gap in understanding or product availability is an opportunity. Maybe Wharfedale thinks it's time to tell the world about three way speakers with horn-loaded mids and tweeters.

http://www.iagamerica.com/wharfedale/zaldek.htm

Sound & Vision magazine, p 51.

Maybe the idea will catch on and legacy designs and clones will become the rage.

With a generation raised on transistors and dome tweeters, this may be the beginning of something interesting.

leok

"For any number of debateable reasons, Klipsch abandoned the 3-way HT market under 2 years ago. It would have semed that the world was no longer interested or sufficiently educated so that 3-way, horn-loaded (tweeter and mid) systems made sense."

KLF's could have been used in a marketing scheme for HT, but since they (as well as Heritage) sound so pathetic with HT receivers chock full of IC's -- it was probably decided to create something a little more forgiving for the host of mediocre receivers poliferating the HT market. So, bring in some nice nice two-ways. I believe that speakers utilizing a midrange horn are extremely intolerant of less than fine components in the chain. I'm sure this explains why I found the sound of three-way horn speakers so revolting for so long. I also have a feeling that this is why most people find them revolting -- but it's easier to blame the speaker, since that's what's 'making the sound'. Notice the escalation in sales for Klipsch after introducing Reference. There's no question these two-ways mate better with what most people use.

So, I don't think it was a "gap in understanding" as far as the consumer was concerned, but more a simple realization after listening -- that they sounded terrible. Remember Justin's experience after first getting his Heresies? I think the poor guy was ready to drop kick them out of the house. He then gets a low power receiver using discrete components -- and he's happy as a lark (why do we say this? Are Larks inherently 'happy').

Zal_front.jpg

Now, as far as this Wharfdale is concerned -- I believe it is clearly an attempt to capitalize on Klipsch's success. They would have done better to make it a two-way, and used better drivers. A pair of these sell for $379, have a sensitivity rating of 91db, and come with wonderful spring loaded clips that will barely accomodate zip cord. I do not see how this speaker will do anything to help the cause of horns in the mass market. I bet they sound horrendous.

I wrote to another thread about taking a newbie to listen to HIFI yesterday.

It was RF -5 vs a $ 1500 pair of B&W. We switched between Rotel and Aragon 100+ watt amps.

The RF-5 sounded better running the Aragon 2 channel separates. But still way too bright.

My RB-5s with the Sherwood Newcastle HT separates at home sounded better than either $ 1500 speaker pair.

Source was a Sony CD player which may not have been the best source.

I was disappointed in the setup. Newbie liked the B&W more.

We also listened to ...

-B&W Nautilis 804 ...pretty good but for $ 3500 you can get used Hertige and have money left over

-Moth Audio single driver speaker for $ 695.....Sounded really cool with old Marantz tube amp and Music Hall MMF7 with Grado Platinum cartridge. Not loud and not much bass below 60 hz. A very nice poor mans Lowther i think.

-------------------------

Klipsch does not sound good at certain SPL levels with "run of the mill" SS!

a relatively informed but subjective opinion by...

ME

-------------------------

I wish I could have heard the RF-5s with the Marantz tube amp.

I went out to the Wharfedale site and found out that these are actually being marketed as a DJ speaker for the home. I guess that means Karaoke and the like. Basically a 'party speaker' on the cheap. They also have their high end stuff, which of course do not utilize horns.

As for me -- just give me a set of Mach 1's.9.gif

Flynn -- I once put a Bryston BP-20 in front of my Bryston 3B-ST just to see what would happen. It took my wife an hour to pull me out from under the bed. I'll be honest here -- I can't comprehend how anyone can listen to any horn speaker with a completely solid state front end. They must have a quarter ton of wax build up in their ears.

I can't comprehend how anyone can listen to any horn speaker with a completely solid state front end. They must have a quarter ton of wax build up in their ears.

-------------

Dean, great post ... Got me goin' there.

When you venture out into the 100+db sensitivity range, it takes a marriage made in heaven for everything to work. I think Klipschorns should come with a warning on the side, something to the effect that "there's good news ... and then there's BAD news ..." :)

Dean makes alot of sense. It's bad enough they're covered in what looks like cheap plastic, and they're sold at Best Buy to boot! Consumer grade garbage is what they probably are, even if Monster Cable wired them! Too bad. 8.gif