DIY Tube Amp

PHIL O

Hi, Phil:

This is a great question and post! The best way to get a really thorough understanding of audio electronics is to do exactly what you propose. If you start doing some of your own research and experiementing, you will be light years ahead of those who just like to talk -- hands on experience, including the mistakes often made, is the best teacher by far.

There are lots of books on the subject, and many that I still want to get. A couple that come to mind that offer both great insight are 'A Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio Design' and 'Audio Reality'. Both are written by Bruce Rozenblit. It was the preamp project in the first book that got me started on all of this. Beyond a good first-time project, though, he outlines a great deal about circuit theory, inluding the math needed in design implementation. Some of it gets fairly complex, and requires a few times of re-reading. 'Audio Reality' is supposed to be very good, as well, although I haven't read it yet. Rozenblit, unlike some designers, also very willingly makes public some of his circuits. I believe Audio Reality also contains the schematic for his 'Grounded-Grid' preamplifier. I know a couple people who built this from scratch and love it.

For obvious reasons I hesitate to offer endorsements of products, but that seems to be perfectly acceptable behavior on this forum...so I'm trying to join the club in that respect.

There are a number of schematics that would be good for projects, which is what I would do first before designing completely on your own from the ground up. I have some notation I've made on some ideas for amplifiers, including 2A3 parallel operation and direct-coupled applicatins of the same tube, but am putting them off for a bit until 1. I have the $$$ needed for parts, and 2. enough experience under my belt for a better chance of success.

Kit building is also a good way to start, but it's important to become familiar enough with schematics to where you can build from that alone. I built my Welborne Labs amplifiers from a kit, with only a bit of shematic reading ability. When I look at it now, it is such an easy design to make. SET circuits tend to be that way, though. I have the schematic for the Direct Reactance amplifier (now offered in kit form by Welborne labs), and there is hardly anything to it! And this is absolutely a compliment to the designer, Jack Eliano.

If you are interested in trying a kit or two, please feel free to email me (or just post below). I might be able to offer some suggestions that would be helpful.

Oh, you might also like to get a copy of the 'RCA Receiving Tube Manual' and the 'Radio Amateur's Handbook.' The first of the two can be a great tool, since it lists operating parameters for thousands of tubes, including those used for music playback and amplification. It also has a great section on circuits for preamps and amps, and is thus a good way to practice schematic reading. The other tends to be more closely related to radio receiving and transmission, but has a wealth of information totally related to tube audio electronics -- which of course has its origins in radio. There are outstanding sections on power supply design and implementation, which has bee a help to me many times in building my own power supplies!

Sorry this is so long, Phil! It's just a subject of interest to me, and was glad to learn of someone interested enough to be willing to do some of the work and research related to the field.

Let me know if I can help...but remember I'm learning too! The more I learn, it seems the more I realize how little I actually know! :)

Have fun and regards,

Erik

Bruce Rozenblit has a website for his company, Transcendent Sound. The exact URL escapes me -- something like www.transcendent-sound.com. Certainly you can do a search and find it.

Antique Electronics Supply (great company!) now sells tube amp kits for under $200. The stereo version of the amp. got a very strong review in Audio X Press magazine -- a great DIYer publication. Also check out Vacuum Tube Valley magazine, which always has projects by very talented audio designers. Eric Barbour (enormously knowdgeable tube expert)is a frequent contributor. VTV published one of his preamp designs, which not surprisingly got rave reveiws -- it's a 6SN7 based preamp, using a 5Y3 tube rectifier. It could be built for a few hundred dollars, or even less if one happened to have a suitable transformer already on hand. It takes time and effort to learn to build from scratch, but much can be learned (not to mentioned SAVED!) in the process.

Erik

Phil,

Erik has given you some great advise !! Books can help but there is nothing that can teach you better than just diving in. I basically didn't know a thing about tube audio a year and half ago. I did have background in helping my Dad with tube ham equipment since I was a little kid so soldering and basic electronics was already in my background.

Good Luck

Craig

A few months ago I was looking to getting into tube audio. I couldn't justify spending thousands of dollars on tube gear when I have never heard the tube sound. So as sort of an experiment, I wanted to build a cheap amp. I came across the 6wpc K12-M stereo amp kit from S-5 electronics. $139? No problem, if I don't like it I can throw it away. I ended up loving the tube sound. It is tough to listen to my solid state HT now. I am now reading Rozenblit's Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio Design, and hopefully will be able to build 3 2 channel preamps for my home theater. The book is wonderful, very detailed and not to technical. It is great if you just want to learn exactly what each part of the amp is doing. The kit from S-5 electronics was EXTREMELY easy to build (took no more than 2 hours), but I didn't learn anything about how tube amps worked. The book in conjuction with the kit is probably the easiest way to learn about DIY tube audio without worrying about ruining a $1000 piece of equipment.

Can anyone recommend a specific kit to power a pair of Heresies and a kit for Fortes?

I'm a beginner and I do want something to find out if "tubes are for me", but I don't want to realize that I love tubes and then have to turn around a go buy a completely different set. What I'm saying is I don't mind upgrading, but I'd rather upgrade within months to years, rather than having to the following month to get a better set. So maybe something beginner to moderate will do, or something affordable yet good.

Can anyone recommend a specific kit to power a pair of Heresies and a kit for Fortes?

I'm a beginner and I do want something to find out if "tubes are for me", but I don't want to realize that I love tubes and then have to turn around a go buy a completely different set. What I'm saying is I don't mind upgrading, but I'd rather upgrade within months to years, rather than having to the following month to get a better set. So maybe something beginner to moderate will do, or something affordable yet good.

Well, this one is going to be shorter! :)

Phil: Check out Antique Elecronics supply (AES) I think their web address is tubesandmore.com.

They have a couple of highly praised amp kits for under $200. They are designed by a well-known tube enthusiast/professional. You can get them in kit form (simple PCB stuffing) and mounted on a wood chassis. I nicer chassis is available. This might be one way to go -- 8 watts or so of tube power for pretty cheap, including tubes.

Erik

For great kits, look to Welborne Labs - Ron has some new kits out that look very interesting but the amps are Single ended triode so look for far less watts but for a great match with efficient speakers.

Also, check the Bottlehead site for more SET designs of a different bent.

Audio Electronic Supply does have some good kits as mentioned (SET and Push Pull). HEad to the products page and kits ( http://www.audioelectronicsupply.com/ )

Passion Audio has kits too based on the ASL type amps (all made from China factory).

kh