re-capped the 222C last night, Craigs parts, couple pics

Tom Mobley

Laboring over a hot iron late into the night, all that jazz. This thing really sounds sweet. I think the Russky caps opened it up a lot, and it's got virtually no hours on it yet. I had it hooked up to my DIY LS's in the garage, as soon as I fired it up I knew it was different. Fixed the rectifier with Craigs parts too, wait'll you see what was in there. Goofy deal but it seemed to work OK., negative voltage wasn't right but it was in the ballpark.

Scott 222C before/after

Tom

Tom,

Your next step is (if you haven't done it yet) is to check the values of the 4- 100K 1 Watt plate resistors on your 12AX7's and the 4- 15K 1 Watt Plate resistors on the 6U8 phase splitters . Make sure there colse to there stated values and withing 5% of each other at the worst.

Craig

I've had it playing continously in the garage since I got it back together, all I can say so far is that it is totally sweet-sounding, smooth and effortless like there's no end to it. I haven't really cranked it hard yet, but I will. I really tend to listen a pretty low volumes most of the time.-

Craig, I haven't checked it on those resistors yet.

I had to use that 36ohm R you sent, it still has -46V off the first can cap, little over 45 but closer than the 51 I started with. I'm thinking about trying a 40, is that a 10W piece? Or something different? there's about -18.5 on the outputs, that's lower than the 21 I started with too. Things are looking up.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I was trying to keep it neat while I was installing the new caps, came out pretty good for a beginner, I thought anyway.

leok,

The caps are right on the money on my new Fluke meter, like the .1's were .099. I noticed that there are values hand-written on them with a marker pen, I think Craig sorts through a bunch of them and picks out sets because they were dead nuts with each other. I bought all this stuff from him. He's got the stuff in stock because he works on these all the time.

Tom

Tom,

Its still to high but not bad if it sounds good to you all its going to do is save your tubes. The only reason to raise it is if you push the amp it stays in class A longer. Not really that big !

Leak,

Yes those Caps are smaller than Jensons but larger than say Auricaps . They do have a great sound that is for sure. The only problem is the Values I use the most of .047 and .1 are getting real hard to come by especially .047. They are made of Film , Foil and Oil I had to confirm this by cutting some apart. Vintage russian mililtary cold war stuff LOL !!

Craig