KG4 Oiled Oak Cabinet Refresh question.

Tony J

Hi All,

I just purchased a nice pair of stock KG4s in pretty good overall condition. The cabinets have no scratches only flaw is 1 top has some black stains not too bad and the wood looks dry, I want to know the best method to first lightly sand and clean the wood  ( 220 grit papper/ 0000 steel wool) using turpentine or paint thinner?

Then to bring back its luster and protect it. I'm not looking for a high gloss finish but more of a semi gloss. 

Also the rear passive woofers dust caps are pushed in what is the safest way to try and bring them back out again?

TIA Tony

4 minutes ago, Tony J said:

Also the rear passive woofers dust caps are pushed in what is the safest way to try and bring them back out again?

TIA Tony

I use a vacuum  with the pressure toned down , slowly does it , or if the dust caps are very deformed , you can add new dust caps 

20 minutes ago, Tony J said:

Hi All,

I just purchased a nice pair of stock KG4s in pretty good overall condition. The cabinets have no scratches only flaw is 1 top has some black stains not too bad and the wood looks dry, I want to know the best method to first lightly sand and clean the wood  ( 220 grit papper/ 0000 steel wool) using turpentine or paint thinner?

Then to bring back its luster and protect it. I'm not looking for a high gloss finish but more of a semi gloss. 

TIA Tony

Also, would not sandpaper or other for what sounds like a decent finish.

Oil with your favorite furniture polish after cleaning.

Will post some pics when I can, I read some articles saying to stay away from furniture polishes, some old timer I sw recommend 50/50 mix of tung oil and mineral spirits light coat dry for 24hrs n repeat for a week. Light sanding between coats.

• Like 1

Just now, Tony J said:

Will post some pics when I can, I read some articles saying to stay away from furniture polishes, some old timer I sw recommend 50/50 mix of tung oil and mineral spirits light coat dry for 24hrs n repeat for a week. Light sanding between coats.

Yes, meant to say oil... cool!

What I did so far was lightly sand down both cabinets w ultra fine scotch pad, this removed most stains, followed by Mineral Spirits w cotton cloth. Used MS and pad to work on and remove rest of stains.

After cabinets were dry I applied a light coat of Watco rejuvenation oil, let in absorb about 15min then wipe down any excess.

This next picture shows cabinet top after 1 coat.

I plan on applying 2 to 3 more coats w light sanding between then applying a good finish wax.

Will post pictures when finished hope this will help others.

Screenshot_20230103-080056_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

If that's all that's left, I would leave it that way. You can use oxalic acid to bleach the stains, but what you have left wouldn't bother me too much. Bad water stains from flower pot or drink rings... maybe requires more work.

This site explains the methods:

https://gilboys.co.uk/pages/oxalic-acid-how-to-remove-stains-and-marks-from-wood-furniture

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...