Who on here has an iPod...

shoe11

• 10 months later...

I paid Santa to come early and bought a 40 gig about five days ago, I have been spending all my time downloading around 500 albums onto it, I have been taking it every ware! I am using i-tunes to download with and it is really cool. I bought a pair of sport headphones, so I can wear a hat. I have been playing single songs with the random setting, and have 2480 songs down now and am about a third done! I like the menu very well and the categories that it assigns to each song I laugh at some of them. I do wish it would show more song information.I am thinking of lending it to someone when it is full to see if they wanted to buy the cd for $500.

I have had a 10g iPod for about 18monhs. I abslolutely love it. I have not listened to the radio since I first turned it on. I have a huge collection of music on it(favorite songs from over three hundred cd's)and have a hardwire connections to my car stero and home theatre. It's fantastic. the battery life is not what they claim, but stll very adequate. Other than the well understood sound quality limitations of mp3s (this ain't vinyl), it sounds great in the car and through the headphones. The HT is another story. The recommendation I would make is to also have a look at recent offering from RIO and Creative labs. They have both just released similar items for a lower price. Anyway, if you like portable music, you must have one of these. If mine broke today, I would have new one tonight!

1.gif

I've got a 5 gig ipod 1 year ago. And i've got a Creative Zen FW player for my sister. So i can compare both...

Well iPOD is a very nice device ( specially the new one). One thing that i've noticed is that battery life DOES decrease noticable after a year of use.

What i like about it - battery life, quality of reproduction, look and style.

What i dont like - remote ( its in-line with earphones, which makes the cable WAY too long). It cant power decent headhpones ( like senheisers)... well,it can, but not very loud. itunes which is used to manage music is fairly easy to use. Its a great device, specially considering how many attachments you can use with it ( some are somewhat expensive).

Controlls on iPOD are excelent - easy to use and convinient.

Now, Creative Zens are also VERY nice devices ( my sister got 10 gig one) and are generally cheaper than iPODs. They have better battery life too. Controls are not as good as on iPOD but Zens are feature RICH. they got lots of cool features. Software that comes with it is not as good as itunes - too messy, flashy and clutered.

We took both these mp3 players on a trip to Tahoe ( from san diego). It was about 10.5 hour drive from point to point and both players lastet one way easily ( played them through cassette adapter in a car stereo).

I gotta tell you, that even my 5 gig ipod is a LOT OF SPACE. I have about 10 gig of music total, but i really listen to only about 3gigs. Rest gets used very rear. So i personally would not want to go for extra 10 or 20 gig if thats going to cost 200-300 bucks.

With creative you get more HD space for same money, and more features, but with iPOD you get better controls and more gadgets that can be used with it ( like wireless remote, flash card reader, fm radio, recorder...etc.

One more thing - My older ipod has a steel back/sides plate. Which is great for protecting it, but can get ugly after couple of years of use. Zen has a full ALUMINUM body - which stands up very ncie to every day use.

I would rate Zen from creative and iPOD from apples as 2 VERY BEST HD based MP3 Players on the market right now.

Dont forget about formats - Apple can play MP3 and AAC ( apples format for protected music) and creative uses MP3 and WMA ( microsofts protected format).

Zens have ~14 hours of play time, and iPODs ~8 hours ( from specs of each).

for $399 you can get a 60Gb (!!!) player that will last 14 hours of play time on a single charge... dont think apple can beat that right now ( im an ipod and apple power book owner myself, so dont think im huge creative guy)

or for $299 you can get 30 gig with 14 hours.

PLUS - Creative's Zen players have REMOVABLE battery. ( i dont know whats going to happen to my iPOD when battery cant hold the charge any longer..:( )

AND right now you get a free noise canceling headhpones with purchase of creative Zen player...

------

and im gonna stick with my 5 gig original iPOD :)