Forte Opinions

PHIL O

I saw a pair of Heresies and a pair of Fortes in a pawn shop. Both speakers are in good condition, as far as the hardware. A little beautification on the Heresies wouldn't hurt a bit. Now, the Heresies are a keeper, but the Fortes are going for $550, is that too much to spend?

How do the Fortes sound, are they at all comparable in sound the the Chorus, Chorus II, La Scalas,Heresies, RF3 or RF3-II? I need just a general idea of the quality of sound of these speakers. I've heard all the previously mentioned speakers. Would they have a similar sound to any of these?

IMHO, Fortes are one of the best kept secrets. There is not much hoopla about them, but I'm certain that current owners will attest to their fidelity. It has the qualities of the Heritage series Heresy, with much deeper bass, but a little less sensitive. You may be able to get them at less than $550 somewere else, but, if those that you cited are in good condition, they are worth every penny. After owning several speaker models/brands, I stopped my search at Forte. Can't compare them to LS without getting into heated debate. Fortes will deliver outstanding sound with music as well as HT; no tubes required.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Chorus and the Forte almost identical? Same mid and tweet but smaller woofer and radiator?

I run my Forte's with SS and they sound great. Hopefully tubes will be in my future, but for now, Love my Forte's just the way they are.

In good shape and including shipping, $550 sounds fair.

I have both Chorus and Forte. Love them both, and can't part with either.

Just to clarify, per their cut sheets, they have no common drivers.

Forte: http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=86

Chorus: http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=85

Also, the Chorus I does not have a passive - just the Chorus II.

They are, however, "close" in mid-range and upper sound. I'm using a Forte as a center for my Chorus mains in my HT. I find the Chorus is a bit more open in the mids and uppers, though, which is why I use them instead of my Fortes for main speakers.

Their bass is quite different. The Forte will outperform the Chorus in bass - deeper, tighter, more "whump." I make up for it with an SVS 20-39 sub.

I paid $600 for my Forte's. $550 is fair if they are in really good shape. I've seen them for less and for a bit more. (But, since they are local, you don't have the cost and risk of shipping, and that's worth something!)

I totally agree with you A. The Forte is a quiet as it's kept secret. I bought mine new and have not wanted nor heard anything better! I am an ol' skool, 2 channel kind of guy. My stereo system is totally seperate from my ss system. I am driving my Forte's with a 100 w Sansui AUX-701 integrated amp....very clean and more than enough to drive them sufficiently! The highs, mids and bass (especially the bass) are exceptionally tight and crisp. A totally awesome speaker! A friend of mine just purchased a set of RF 7's and says that they sound much better than my Forte's. I doubt it. I will be checking those out later.

I've had ForteII's for about 11 years and just last weekend moved them into the living room and replaced with the whole RF-7 line and I've gotta tell you the jury is still definately out. I'm driving the Fortes with an old 50 watt JVC receiver and they sound spectacular! The clarity, the prodigious and tight bass... I'm a rock and roll lover and I could never part with them.

According to Klipsch the RF-7 is 3db more sensitive than the ForteII but if I play the RF-7's at the same volume level on my Yamaha amp as I used to on my Fortes the RF-7's don't sound any louder to me. I have no measurements to back up my claim, it's just my opinion. I'm just damn glad I have a place for a 2 channel system as well.

My point is, the Fortes are well worth it!9.gif

Phil-

Like Doug above, I, too, have both Fortes IIs and Chorus IIs. The Forte I/II is a great speaker and a pair will bring you much enjoyment. If they are Forte IIs, then $550 isn't bad, espeically since there wouldn't be any shipping. If they are Forte I, then it might be a bit high, depending on the condition. Good luck.

Both the Forte models and the Chorus models are voiced similarly to the Heritage line...though not an exact match. Any of these are excellent speakers IMHO. PWK had an active role in the R&D of the Chorus and Forte models...and their similar voicing to the Heritage line is no accident. By use of porting/passive radiators, etc...the engineering department was seeking a larger-than-Heresy, Heritage-like performance in a smaller footprint and cabinet size, while incorporating ongoing tractrix horn developments, and did exceedingly well in this department with these two models and their follow-up versions. The incorporation of tractrix horn development into these models is only a part of the story behind the R&D of them....since continued development of tractrix horns showed up in successive models, too! For the money normally asked for these two models in excellent "pre-owned" condition...it is hard to go wrong with a purchase of them.