KG3 K-84-K Tweeter Replacement Source

Ron Dexter

Hi Folks,

I have a 1985 KG3 with a failed tweeter. The tweeter is a K-84-K with a phenolic diaphragm (1").  The horn and magnet are just fine so I am trying to find a replacement diaphragm assembly of equal quality to the original.  There seem to be a lot of companies that sell look-a-like replacements but I'm not sure who has ones of good quality.  Can someone please steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Ron

20230203_105228.jpg

20230203_105218.jpg

Appears to be a phenolic diaphragm from the pics.

Klipsch doesn't sell them any more as far as I know.  Post a WTB ad in the garage sale section and I'm sure someone will have a used one for short money.  Fleabay is the other option.  I'd stay clear of any of the inexpensive aftermarket ones though.

You could upgrade them both to the titanium diaphragms from Klipsch directly or from other popular sources online.  Dig around the forums.  Many like the upgrade, myself included.

I used this replacement from SimplySpeakers. It appears it fits the bill for your KG3 as well. 

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k75-d-417.html

I also replaced the ferro fluid, which was easy. I did need to enlarge one of the locating/guide holes with a drill bit. Other than that, good replacement tweeter and happy with the sound.

21 minutes ago, OO1 said:

... they sell the Titanium  which is superior

Some people don't like the titanium... just sayin'.

But if that's all you can get, you could get one to try and compare - left/right. If no likey, get some after market phenolic.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!  I was in a chat with Klipsch and the rep stated they do not have/make replacements.  But, I'll try giving them a call at the number 001 provided.  I have heard positive and negative comments about going titanium but I'll probably just have to give that a try.  

• 8 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 7:03 PM, OO1 said:

@Ron Dexter

klipsch   sell the Titanium diaphragm which is superior ,  

cost is about 35$  --klipsch Part #  127123  , the  same diaphragm is used in the Heresy- Forte - Cornwall III-IV  

so is this the replacement for the K-84-k horn tweeter ?  I have a pair of KG 3.5s i bought new in 95 or 96. The one tweet died a while back, but since they've been relegated to the great room where we get together with friends, (the room has 4 couches in it that soak up both the volume and of course the highs), the volume is so low that you don't notice it was much. If i can buy a pair of those diaphrams and simply swap them out I'd love to do it.