Separate amps and processor, or add to current av receiver? Your thoughts and Opinions.

Funkster!

I built my HT in 2012 and since then, I've had 3 projectors, 2 screens, 4 BDP's and 2 av receivers. I started with a Klipsch RF-83 system and now have RF-7ll's with 9 surrounds, 4 in ceiling, and 4 height. All the speakers are Klipsch except my subs. I have 2 JL Audio Fathom 113's (I have a Klipsch RT-10D in my tv room). My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR 3030 and I have a Oppo 205 BDP. Before Covid, I had a 7.2.4 system and that's when I went a little stir crazy and added 2-wide, 2-front height and 2-rear height speakers. Now I need to either jump to separates or add something to my current receiver.  My theater is approx. 12'w x 19' with a low ceiling (basement 7'2"), with two rows of seats with bass traps, etc. With all the channels I need to power I was wondering if I should add an amp to my current receiver, or go with separate amps (3-5 channel?) and add a processor? This will probably be the last time I "tweek" the mancave and I need some input on how to get the best out of my speakers. I attached a Dolby 11.1.8 speaker layout and I may remove 2 surround 1 speakers. What'dya think? Anyone been down this road before? My projector is a JVC NZ-8 and the screen is a Studiotek G140. 

sell-sheet-11.1.8-mountedopt.pdf

• Like 1

For now, I say add an outboard amp, maybe a 3-channel to begin with, and use your AVR as a pre/pro.  Your TX-NR3030 was the flagship or near flagship Onkyo AVR 8 or so years ago so it is pretty tricked out for the time.  Even if you decide later to go preamp/processor, you already have an amp.

Bill

Budget?
YMMV, but there it's no contest between receiver and processor+amps.  I ran an HK receiver when I first added surround, and got rid of it within a year.  Went Anthem processor plus separate amp - the latter of which changed from Rotel back to the McCormacks I had previously - and I can listen to music and watch surround content with a smile on my face.  It costs, though... the AVM70 is around $3800 (or more), and I have all used amps, the total MSRP when they were first sold would have been north of 5K.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I think I might go with a separate amp/processor system and keep the Onkyo. I am currently looking at an anthem AVM 70/90 or Monolith HTP-1 and Monolith or Parasound amps. Going with separates gets more expensive but everyone says it definitely makes a difference. 

8F5CCF6E-4DC7-47D4-BE35-1F1EAB0B5B94.jpeg

6B706580-FAA9-4CC7-A0D0-7550241DB33A.jpeg

On 3/2/2023 at 6:15 AM, Funkster! said:

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I think I might go with a separate amp/processor system and keep the Onkyo. I am currently looking at an anthem AVM 70/90 or Monolith HTP-1 and Monolith or Parasound amps. Going with separates gets more expensive but everyone says it definitely makes a difference. 

8F5CCF6E-4DC7-47D4-BE35-1F1EAB0B5B94.jpeg

6B706580-FAA9-4CC7-A0D0-7550241DB33A.jpeg

Nice looking cave you got there!