Interesting Article - $1000 Tube-Based System

dougdrake

Good article, especially for mainstream press.

I think those waves would do better with some Heresies or RB3's though. Of course, you have to throw out the Auricaps and put some PIO's in there -- and don't forget the NOS tubes.

It sure is nice seeing an article like that though. Imagine if this kind of thing actually caught on.

I personally would go elsewhere. Great little things for nothing but no iron to speak of.

Dean, that's a little hard on the ole Auricaps.

Back to the sytem, I bet that little system DOES kill 99.5% of the gear out of Circuit City (hell, probably 100%).

The little Paradigm ATOMs are GREAT speakers for the price and do fine with tube amps. While a bit bright, with good placement and quality stands, they disappear with the best of them. I had a pair of Paradigm ATOMs/Titans half the time as it was the speaker(s) I bought for loons looking for HIFI on the cheap and wanting new. Still, a good vintage integrated with tube rectification and up to spec will walk over this little system and be cheaper as well, especially if you can do your own work.

kh

Strabo

Can these things really be that good?

You bet your assets they are !

The Waves are fantastic little amps at the price. True enough as Kelly points out they don't have the kind of output xformers that one will find in amps selling for several times their price but sound damned good nonetheless.

I was listening to some Dianna Krall with the 8's and mm3 DeCapo's at my dealer's one day and another fellow came in and said " Man those De Capo's sound good with that Monarchy !" I laughed and said I'm sure they do but what your hearing is those little 10 watt monoblocks. His chin nearly hit the rug

9.gif

Cool Audio System

on the Cheap

by Steven R. Rochlin

$ave $$$

Here we have a $100 monoblock amplifier, a pair of Lowther-like $700 per pair loudspeakers (including cabinet!), $4 hookup wire and a $13 tweak. Add a great passive stepped attenuator like the DACT stepped attenuator for volume adjustment (around $150 depending on your needs) and you have a complete music reproduction system, minus a source component yet with a great tweak, for under a grand, $1,000... under 1,000 dead presidents. No kidding!!!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0801/coolaudio.htm

The Y2K Audio System

by Dick Olsher

On the eve of the next millennium we introduce our Y2K compliant audio system, or to be more precise a system for about $2K that is most definitely worth saying Yes to. Whats waiting for you behind door No.1 is no nasty bug. Rather, its a treat for music lovers on a budget. I have been advocating a systems approach to audio as a means of maximizing ones return on investment. Synergy is difficult to achieve at any price point, but the task borders on the impossible at the lower price points. Hence, Im particularly proud to introduce you to the following system that strikes directly at the heart of the musical experience. This then is the Senior Editors recommended $2K system. It may be refined and updated in the future. Additional amplification or other allowable substitutions will be investigated and described as the system evolves over time. For now, Ill be describing a system sound where the sonic summation of the pieces is much greater than the sound of its individual pieces. Any unauthorized substitutions are greatly discouraged. If you want to obtain this particular sound, then its critical that you duplicate all of the links as described below. Let me emphasize that you can do far worse for even twice the money the Y2K system is that good - but only if you stay faithful to the overall system makeup.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/1199/donibbles.htm

2.gif

What's with that link? Olsher been sleeping with the manufacturers again? heh..... I still laugh when I think of the time he went BESERK over the Golden Dragon 12AX7, probably one of the most lame 12AX7 around. He must have written a whole column in Stereophile on this tube which he said wiped all his other 12AX7. This was in the late 80s or early 90s I think. Perhaps a tad later. My memory is going. Anyway, ole Dick has really changed his tune many times which is fine, except one never really knows where he is going to land at times. I generally take him as one more rung to a ladder that is as WIIIDDE as it is high.

I tell you one thing, if I was doing a 2k system, I wouldnt opt for any of those recs; knowing ole Dick from his earliest text in print, I cant see him doing that either... DId he pick those?

kh

I have a pair of Waves.

They are not bad. No they do not sound like my Wrights, but I like them for what they are.

I also have all the AN Tant resistors, Auricaps and Jensen Caps to do the "mon" upgrade.

I am going to use these for my bedroom system which will consist of the Waves, a pair of Heresey's, a Rega Planet 2000. I'm not sure about preamp yet.

The tubes have been upgraded to Svetlana. All four tubes cost about $60.

After they are upgraded and I listen to them for awhile I would like to send them to either Mobile or Dean to test if either one is interested.

Danny