Art Duley reviews the VPI Scout in Feb Stereophile

jazman

Thank you guys for the advice thus far. Jazman, I will definitely take you up on the email offer, so be looking out for one any time now!

Tim, if you take a peek at my equipment list, the preamp and amps that I am running are the Parasound Halo C2, and the A51 and A21 amps, which put out a total of 250 watts x 7 into 8ohms, driving Klipsch RF7's. I only have enough in my budget ($2000) to allow for the acquisition of a turntable, and unfortunately, not a tube-based phono stage or tube amps (or khorns!). My system is extremely neutral and transparent sounding, I would say. But not to the point of clinical or electronic.

The VPI Scout I was looking at comes with a JMW 9 arm, but that's as far as the descriptions go on online etailers' sites (if anyone has a good VPI dealer they can suggest, I'm all ears!). I'm assuming this turntable is more of an entry-level one, in that it doesn't require it's owner to endlessly tweak and construct it to wits end, like some higher-end versions do. I have ZERO experience in turntables, and so one that requires me to put it all together from scratch, select different cartridges (whatever those are), etc. would just frazzle me to a crisp. That's why this product appeals to me so much: it seems to offer incredible performance for the buck (Stereophile Class B, after all), and doesn't seem to require much, if any, user knowledge in setup and use.

Oh, and I did see those VPI interconnects on audioadvisor.com, although the picture seemed to show 3 completely differently terminated interconnects, which is what got me confused. If you, Tim, or anyone else, could shed a little more light on my newbie and silly little questions, I'd be very much obliged.

- Nick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick - You should probab;y go on out and listen to one. OTOH the VPI is a pretty safe bet as its legions of fans can attest to. If you don't want to use a local dealer and prefer to buy online you will find many options. I recommend amusic direct.com. I have been to their store many times in Chicago and am always pleased with the customer service. I believe Audio Advisor also carriers VPI. I have used them many times w/o problems.