My retro experience

svberger

I'm lucky enough to own some really nice vintage McIntosh amps, both tube and SS. I've used them all on both my '77 La Scala's and Cornwall's, but I'm not sure any has brought me more enjoyment, or seemed so right, as this little guy, a Pioneer SX-440. I recently picked it up restored, and had it connected to both the CW's and LS's, and it's the latter combo that has knocked my sox off. Only 12 watts, but obviously that's plenty for the LS's. There's a wonderful clarity with this receiver that I'm not sure any of my Mac's have displayed as well. And of course it's got plenty of muscle that belies it's size. Originally issued by Pioneer in '69, perhaps the other reason I'm so enamored of it is that it was the first real piece of audio gear that I owned, bought with money saved from various odd jobs and some parental help when I was 13. I was already a pretty avid fan of r'n'r as a regular listener to Boston's WBCN, and WRKO. But I'd been using the parents POS cabinet "stereo", so getting this, then a few months later acquiring a pair of EPI M50 speakers(have a pair currently but I like the 440 better with the LS's) and then a Dual 1019 turntable turned me into a pretty serious record hound, much to the chagrin of mom. Anyway, I suppose it goes to show you that you don't really have to spend a bundle to power the LS's to make them sound good. And, they certainly made good stuff back then.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Your Pioneer receiver looks fantastic. I had a very similar experience a year ago. Although I love my McIntosh C22CE and MC275 Mk4 since more than 20 years for their musicality I bought again the amplifier I had in my youth for little money, the Quad34 pre and 306 power amp combination. It still sounds so really good 35 years later on with my 1977 LaScalas and BBC speakers. It's not just reminiscence but it is a bit. The sound of youth.