Wiring a Heresy I as a Center Channel on a 2-channel amp

People change their minds once in a while.

It is easy to have a center for TV/movies and keep an existing 2 ch setup.

I was just at a friend's house earlier this week listening to his Freya and 2 ch JRDG amplifier in his stereo system that is also part of his HT.

A much better solution than being stuck in the 70s if someone wants a center ch.

• 3 months later...
On 4/8/2023 at 6:38 AM, Wilson Hines said:

The title says all of it, I think.  Wiring a Heresy I as a Center Channel on a 2-channel amp. 

I have a set of Forte 1's and the guy I bought them from threw in a Heresy I.  He said he used the Heresy as a center channel for home theater and I supposed he meant with a 2-channel amp.  This past weekend, we watched John Wick 3 as the first movie just using the Fortes.  The dialog was laid back.  It was just different than with music and I thought using a center channel would resolve the issue, but I didn't want to go the way of a AVR.  

Can someone tell me how to wire the Heresy I up to the amp without killing something expensive? 

Setup: 

Schiit Freya N Preamp

Anthem MCA 225 gen 2 amp

Forte I's

Heresy I

I know I'm a bit late in answering this, but maybe I can help. First, you need to make very sure that your amp uses a common ground between the two channels. A call to the manufacturer's tech support or a look by a COMPETENT technician will answer this. If it does, then here's a very "old-school" way of doing it. It's not ideal, especially for dissimilar speakers, but it will work with similar speakers. If you try this, do so at your own risk. I have not verified that your amplifier uses a common ground between channels, and SOME amps do not like having speakers connected in any unusual fashion.

Connect the positive leads of the left and right channel speakers to the amp as usual. Connect the negative leads of the left and right speakers together, but NOT to the amp. Connect the positive lead of the center channel speaker to the connection between left and right negative leads, and then insulate this connection well. Finally, connect the center channel negative lead to one of the negative connections on the amp. A 25-30 ohm, 100 watt potentiometer wired in parallel with the center channel speaker can be used to turn it down if it's too loud.

DO NOT try this with the usual dinky "home theater" center channel speakers. Ideally, all three speakers should be identical, but the Forte's and the Heresy are similar enough in design that they will probably work like this.