Replacement K-76 Diaphragms

I just grabbed a pair of Quartets in Oiled Oak sight unseen for $400CAD today. Cosmetically they are pristine, unfortunately, when I got home and hooked them up something seemed "off". Messing around with my calibrated microphone I was able to confirm that there no output above 8000khz and when I popped out the tweeter assembly and measured the resistance with my multi-meter confirmed that they were both shot.

I am conflicted about whether I should replace them with something similar to stock or go with titanium diaphragms. Seeing as I've never heard them with any tweeters I have no frame of reference to base my decision off of.

I will also likely be replacing the capacitors in the crossover network at the same time as well.

Other than Bob Crites for the titanium diaphragms, is there another reputable source for K-76 diaphragms. I am located in Canada which may influence my choice. Looking forward to getting these up in tip-top shape.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jdiesel87 said:

Other than Bob Crites for the titanium diaphragms, is there another reputable source for K-76 diaphragms.

Good morning and congrats on the new Quartets! It wasn't that long ago TI tweeters were pretty much the norm around here wherever they were sourced from and Klipsch has used them in their extended Heritage line for almost 15 years or so. As part of my refresh efforts when buying these speakers that was one of the first things I'd do is swap these old tweeter Diaphragms out. 

As far as parts sources goes Speaker exchange and Simply Speakers are good resources they have a lot of factory parts:

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k75-d-417.html?redirect=1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jdiesel87 said:

. I am located in Canada which may influence my choice. Looking forward to getting these up in tip-top shape.

reach out to Gentec  , they are the distributor for  klipsch  in Canada . they sell klipsch parts through a parts store 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Good morning and congrats on the new Quartets! It wasn't that long ago TI tweeters were pretty much the norm around here wherever they were sourced from and Klipsch has used them in their extended Heritage line for almost 15 years or so. As part of my refresh efforts when buying these speakers that was one of the first things I'd do is swap these old tweeter Diaphragms out. 

As far as parts sources goes Speaker exchange and Simply Speakers are good resources they have a lot of factory parts:

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k75-d-417.html?redirect=1

Thanks, those are the two sources that came up in my search but I wasn't sure if there was a difference in quality. 

I just went ahead and order the titanium ones from Bob Crites. I feel like as far a modifications from the original design, Bob's titanium diaphragms are very regarded and acceptable drop in replacement and an overall improvement. It ended up being a bit more than I would have liked to spend but I feel like I will still be well ahead bases on the price I pairs for the speakers and their condition.

• Like 1

Titanium diaphragms are on the way! I threw in a capacitor kit just to have as I wanted to optimize the shipping costs. I just went with the "copper" level caps because I suspect they are the closest to stock as possible and I was worried about swing to far to the bright side with the upgrade diaphragms.

At first I had planned on just replacing the diaphragms and leaving the crossover be but the more think about it I like the idea of just doing it all now and being done with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jdiesel87 said:

At first I had planned on just replacing the diaphragms and leaving the crossover be but the more think about it I like the idea of just doing it all now and being done with it.

You should swap the diaphragms first maybe give them a couple days before replacing the caps that way you know what change you're hearing. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

You should swap the diaphragms first maybe give them a couple days before replacing the caps that way you know what change you're hearing. 

Is there any possibility that a damaged crossover network could have been the root cause of the diaphragms going in the first place? I'd hate to replace them and have the new ones go on me too. That is my only reason for doing everything at once, I agree with your otherwise with the single tweak and listen approach.

9 hours ago, Jdiesel87 said:

Is there any possibility that a damaged crossover network could have been the root cause of the diaphragms going in the first place? I'd hate to replace them and have the new ones go on me too. That is my only reason for doing everything at once, I agree with your otherwise with the single tweak and listen approach.

Tweeters are typically the first thing to go when the volume is pushed too high I've had to replace several pairs of them over the years back in my party days, Had a friend with CH-II's out in his garage with Carver A-760x (380x2) and had to replace his a couple times. I've bought and sold dozens of Klipsch speakers over the years with that tweeter type and never once seen a faulty crossover be the cause of a bad tweeter, not saying it couldn't happen just based on my experiences probably not. 

Another option would be to do the re-cap first and let them settle in for a few days, get used to the sound that way then replace the diaphragms but then you wouldn't know how they would sound with the factory crossovers. 

On 5/15/2023 at 1:34 PM, Jdiesel87 said:

I just went with the "copper" level caps  

dont touch your   klipsch crossovers , leave as is ,  Crites copper  are a downgrade / the  lowest quality caps you can buy ,   your crossovers  would test  99.99%  within specs  but the tweeters  were overpowered .

the Crites sales pitch is always to change everything with  common aftermarkets that  alter  the sound of klipsch speakers because their specs do not match with the original ,   and that's why they are not  approved by klipsch   

klipsch   factory capacitors restore the  specs of your crossovers  ,  klipsch  Ti  tweeter diaphragms are  available in Canada  .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jdiesel87 said:

Is there any possibility that a damaged crossover network could have been the root cause of the diaphragms going in the first place 

0 %  chance , the crossovers cannot blow tweeters , as they filter the correct frequencies up to the 100 W speaker rating  , your speakers were overpowered for a long period of time , and the tweeter voice coils were burned  past the amount of power they can handle , the voice coil windings overheat and  splits , and the tweeter no longer functions . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OO1 said:

klipsch   factory capacitors   are available  for purchase to restore the  specs of your crossovers  ,  klipsch  genuine Titanium tweeter diaphragms are also available in Canada , they are used in the Cornwall IV , Forte IV , Heresy  IV and they are designed for your   Quartet tweeters  

I reached out to Gentec a few days ago and haven't heard back. If they do get back I might pick up the genuine replacement parts. It's nice to have options.

2 minutes ago, Jdiesel87 said:

I reached out to Gentec a few days ago and haven't heard back. If they do get back I might pick up the genuine replacement parts. It's nice to have options.

Cap choices have been debated here for decades (subjective sound qualities) now the only "approved" choice on this forum is JEM, which if staying true to factory spec is your goal it's really the only choice. As far as the tweeters I've tried them all seriously doubt you'd be be able to tell a difference between the ones you bought and factory but it is nice to stay with OEM when you can. 

On a side note, I have really been enjoying the speakers even without the tweeters. I spent the last few days listening and think I settled on the best position for my 13'x24' room. Speakers on the short wall, about 3' from the side walls, 7" from the back wall, and toed in slightly with the main listening position about 9' away. I not able to put them right into the corners like many suggest due to the placement of my turntable and record stand. I find the bass to adequate but not boomy.

Music sounds lovely on them but I've noticed that vocal/speech sounds a bit muffled or veiled, almost like something is speaking from the next room over. I especially notice this if I put on a movie or show. I don't know if the tweeters will make a huge improvement on that front but I don't want to cast a final judgement until they are replaced. 

Edited by Jdiesel87
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jdiesel87 said:

Speakers on the short wall, about 3' from the side walls, 7" from the back wall, and toed in slightly with the main listening position about 9' away. I not able to put them right into the corners like many suggest due to the placement of my turntable and record stand. I find the bass to adequate but not boomy.

Placement sounds about spot on with my experiences any closer to the corners and bass gets stronger but the soundstage seems to collapse Tweeters should make quite a bit of a difference but these speakers are high sensitivity so good source will result in good sound not sure what gear you're running but that can make a huge difference if playing digital files or streaming I'd recommend something with a newer / good DAC or decent stand alone DAC.