Original RF7 found New in Box

scnomad

Neat find over the weekend. These original RF-7’s were previously owned by a guy who had purchased a bunch of equipment to set up an entire system, but unfortunately became ill and passed before setting it up. I sold my last pair of 7’s years ago and always wanted to get another pair.

Got them home and it was like opening a brand new pair of speakers. Original tape was still intact. Very, very carefully unboxed and positioned them, and of course they sound terrific. Currently running on a Wyred4Sound mInt. 

The 7’s were accompanied by an also unopened original RC64. Unbelievable how heavy it is!

Anyway, wanted to share because this is the kind of thing many of us dream of finding but it rarely happens. 

IMG_0294.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0299.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, scnomad said:

The 7’s were accompanied by an also unopened original RC64. Unbelievable how heavy it is!

Congratulations on the superb find and acquisition! I too have original RF-7s and would suggest trying to find an RC-7 for an exact voice-matched front soundstage. Otoh, that RC-64 was voiced to go with the warmer later RF-83/63 which they quickly discontinued to bring back the RF-7 series. When they did, they also changed up the RC-64 to a second generation version to match the cleaner/brighter RF-7II. I asked at the time and am still curious how the RC-64II mates with the original RF-7 and that may be something to look into. :) 

On 6/2/2023 at 10:59 AM, scnomad said:

I have a good friend with RF-63’s who may buy the center from me. I have been on the hunt for a pair of RF83 or 63 for a while now, but they are hard to come by. These will do nicely until that time comes.

If it were me I'd sell him the RC-64 and find an RC-7. Fwiw, Klipsch quickly discontinued the RF-63/83 and brought back the RF-7s...They had to redesign the RC-64II to pair with it because folks were needing a center channel to go under the TV, instead of on top of a RP monitor. I auditioned the RF-83/RC-64 and thought it was considerably warmer (read not as clear/crisp) and feel that's why they went back...Of course, YMMV. 

9 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

If it were me I'd sell him the RC-64 and find an RC-7. Fwiw, Klipsch quickly discontinued the RF-63/83 and brought back the RF-7s...They had to redesign the RC-64II to pair with it because folks were needing a center channel to go under the TV, instead of on top of a RP monitor. I auditioned the RF-83/RC-64 and thought it was considerably warmer (read not as clear/crisp) and feel that's why they went back...Of course, YMMV. 

Although I love movies and surround sound, my system and room are only set up for 2-channel listening.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting tidbit I learned today. These are actually “RF7 Classic,” which I believe was a re-issue of the original RF7 with a veneered front face. I vaguely recall this, but am not sure if there are any other differences or improvements.

• Like 1