? for those with Reference Series 7 systems

Ou8thisSN

----------------

On 1/20/2003 4:48:53 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

1. Do most of you with the complete system prefer the SVS Ultra subwoofer over RSW15?

----------------

I have neither. I have a REL Storm III, which is absolutly phenomenal with music and also does pretty darn good with movies. It is enough to rattle things in my room.

From what I heard about the SVS vs. the Klipsch RSW debate, I pretty much heard the same thing as was posted above.

That being said, I am considering adding perhaps an SVS to bump up the subwoo***e for movies. Dual Ultras would be nice, but a single should be plenty for my room, especially along with the REL Storm III and the little Yamaha YST-40 (which may get relagated to the basement setup).

----------------

2. Can all of the speakers be Bi-Amped? if so, is there any appreciable performance gain?

----------------

The RF-7s and the RC-7s can be bi-wired/amped. The RS-7s cannot. I believe the new RB-75s that are coming out can also be bi-wired/amped.

I have full R7 all the way around with RSW-12 and a RSW-15. I am not knocking the svs, I have never heard them, but I can vouch for these two subs and tell you that I am very impressed and happy with them. I would like to hear some svs though.

yes, I have seen your setup, its quite nice. I was thinking of initially going with 1 SVS Ultra, then getting an RSW15 later. I read an excellent review linked from the SVS website that compared the RSW15 directly with the SVS, as well as velodyne and others. They showed the frequency response being much greater at lower frequencies with the SVS than the RSW15. But they used 2 SVS Ultra subs, I plan on getting just one to start with. Would it be wrong to have a combination of 1 SVS Ultra and 1 RSW15, and setting up the crossovers so that the SVS would handle everything from 15-28hz, and the RSW15, from 28-80, and the mains for the rest? Anyone tried this combo setup?

Also, are there any discernable differences when you do Bi-Amp speakers. I was thinking about getting the Denon AVR-5803 to start with, and then adding a Parasound amplifier later, and then bi-amping... I dont even know if thats possible, figured I'd ask.

Really interested in anyone that does have 1 SVS Ultra and 1 RSW15.

Thanks

Probably your best bet is to wait for "TheEar" to answer your question. He seems to be one of the most knowledgable when it comes to subs. Also, have you posted this in the subs section?

You may want to start an entire new thread in the subs section with his name in the title. That will for sure get his attention. It's hard to follow each and every subject that comes along. Lots of peeps and lots of posts. 1.gif