Oil oak

wilkic65

3 minutes ago, wilkic65 said:

I will take and share some but in the meantime I was looking for products or finishes that will get it close if not match the factory oiled oak

it's an oak veneer  that's oiled ,  you can use boiled linseed oil or Trade secret is even better , sold on Amazon or Home Depot , simply wipe on , 1-2 applications , that's it 

https://www.tradesecret.ca/scratch-removers-for-wood/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilkic65 said:

and it’s close I think

you used the "oak" one? You should be able to get it pretty close if so.

Most of the repairs I have made were only noticeable to me:D Once you get it close nobody else ever sees it.

2 minutes ago, wilkic65 said:

No they only had natural 

Hmmm...so its lighter than the oak but it will take stain I believe. Are you going to sand down the entire speaker? Be careful the veneer is thin. And since it is oiled finish I think i would stick with oil to refinish. But I am not the be all end all wood refinisher.

Yeah it’s a little lighter but it should take stain and I plan to sand whole speaker using 220 or higher and then refinish all hoping it blends. I’ve done auto body work and was going to treat it the same slow and steady hand sand and so on

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, wilkic65 said:

From what I’ve read I think I’m going to sand them and spray the stain on then oil it once it’s dry unless there is a polyurethane 

The stain is the easy part to just wipe on, I use regular stain not the gel or other things, and you need darker apply again and let sit longer before wiping off. Leave it sit for days at least before using oil or polyurethane.

I did my MWM cabinets in Oak stain than oiled them with Tung or linseed oil, can't remember which. With either of the oils be sure to wipe off as much as possible between coats and on the last coat, leave only what soaks in. I found about a year later they needed another coat, it started to look a little dry.

Also have some Oak Oil Forte 11's from the factory and a pair of Oak clear. Being how old they both are I can't tell a difference, I guess the oll finish got as hard as the poly  finish over time ? 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, wilkic65 said:

Yeah it’s a little lighter but it should take stain and I plan to sand whole speaker using 220 or higher and then refinish all hoping it blends. I’ve done auto body work and was going to treat it the same slow and steady hand sand and so on

When I need lighter I put the stain on and quickly wipe it off, usually takes a couple coats depending.'

Since you did body work if you decide to use poly it sprays fine even though some say don't spray it. I always spray poly, it's fun, a brush is not fun to me.

This is a satin poly on a sub, I was happy the way it came out,

speakers (3).jpeg

• Like 1