Mods & Upgrades scott 299A

AnalOg

Tom,

actually I have a few mods I'm testing out now ! I also am trying to see if I can employ a choke in the power supply. Not sure if that will make a huge difference but you never know till you try !! The problem with going to wild with these vintage units is you end up spending money that you could put toward something that could put you a step above anything that these intergrated amps can offer. Its something you really have to weigh out.

Craig

Ooops! That's the wrong link! This is the ORIGINAL 91b, not the repro that's supposed to be "on the way."

Here's the real one!

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~tossie/300B-E.html

Sorry about this humor, but what exactly do you want to improve by "hot-rodding" the 299? My first suggestion would be to step up to really good NOS tubes--what does your unit have now?

Look for some Mullard 7189 outputs and early Mullard 12AX7--go for Telefunekn 6U8. And only a Mullard rectifier will do.

But seriously--what do you mean by wanting to "hot-rod" the little 299? Get specific and maybe someone here can help you.

I don't own these WE amps! I was fortunate enought to audition a pair of push-pull 350B based WE theatre amps from the late 1940's once and they were very, very good--they had the upper mid range magic that all good 6L6 based amps have.

The ones I tried out for a couple of weeks eventually sold to a fellow in Japan for about four grand. This included four 350B power tubes and a pair of 274B rectifiers--all practically NOS. The tubes alone were probably worth 1500 bucks or so.

The 91a and 91b were the amps that the 300A and 300B tubes were designed for and are considered by many to be the ultimate SET amp. I have never even SEEN one and the reason they are so rare is that Western Electric LEASED all of their amps to the individual theatres and when something new and better came along they would upgrade the client to the latest and best, so MOST of the 91a and 91b amps were "melted down" by WE--only a very few survive and are PRIZED by 300B and WE freaks. 30 grand for a pair seems a little high, but 20 grand is probably about right.

I have never even met anyone who has seen or heard one.

Alan

That tube compliment you suggested would cost more than what I paid for the amp & cost for rebuild. I can see replacing the 12ax7's & 6u8's,rectifier is Sovtek & outputs are Russian military, the two latters I don't see making much of a difference.

Although the Holly & dual exhaust is a thought!! Maybe even a shift kit & 2200 stall converter might beef things up!!

6.gif

I don't get it. You want to "hot-rod" the 299 but you don't even tell us what improvements you're seeking. Then you get bummed when nobody jumps in to tell you what to do. Then I make an honest suggestion that you put in some decent tubes and you tell me that changing power tubes and the rectifier won't make a difference. How the hell can you possibly know this? I suggest you shut up and listen to some music and stop worrying about "hot-rodding" your 299--especially since you can't articulate what you're after and reject honest advice from someone who has owned LOTS of 299s and was playing with them before old NOS even HEARD of them (no offence NOS--you are providing an amazing service).

Didn't meento offend you Mr. Songer. Thanks for your earlier feedback. My implying that the output tubes & rectifier not making a difference I have to confess is not first hand experience, but reading the know how of members on this forum. I guess I should be more specific on my conclusions in the future. As for what I wanted to achieve with the mods, what does anyone

want toachieve, more refinement in the music would probably be the best that i could articulate what I'm trying to acomplish.

Oh ya!! Lighten up, I'm not accustomed to being ones punching bag, respect & get respect, with all due respect.

Tom

I'll probably get ***** slapped for this as well. Sure, NOS power tubes will make a difference -- but it's not going to be jaw dropping by any means.

The 299 has plenty of grip. It would take quite a bit of money to do better, and even then -- it might end up being more of a lateral than an upgrade.

Though the RF-3 is a fine speaker -- your next logical step is a speaker upgrade. If you could swing $800, you could land Jeff's Cornwalls.

OTOH, wait a week or two, and I'll be posting results from my RF-7 crossover 'upgrade'. If things turn out as I hope -- I'm sure the RF-3 would respond in kind.

Well, the WE-91 circuit has sure been copied, many, many times since. Even ole Jean-Francois has built one. Pland just sold a copy to Jazman made by a friend of his. The only real difference is some of the parts and teh all important transformers but if you get some quality iron, and this obviously isnt cheap, a great reproduction can be done.

As for tubes in these vintage amps, I really think the output tubes do make a difference although you can get a good percentage of the sound with some of the better new EL-84. But I liken the difference to the Sovtek 2A3 and a good RCA JAN CRC VT95. The differences are subtle but very worthwhile as most subtle differences are that can add that bit of magic.

I also think the rectifiers do make a bit of difference here too. But you are dealing with some serious ducats to get a Mullard for that beast. But it's worth it I believe.

btw, I already thought Craig did your amp? What did he NOT do?

kh

I did all upgrades that I normally do so he basically will be scratching after someone that isn't there without what Mark is discribing there just isn't much left without major changes and in my opinion just not worth the headache. They sound very good in there near stock form. You can't easily turn a Chevy into a Cadilac and why would you want too ? Just go buy a Cadilac !!

Craig