RIP Tony Bennett 96 Y.O.

ClaudeJ1

On 7/24/2023 at 7:06 PM, Dave1291 said:

"Little' Stevie Wonder was fully engrained in my soul.

I attended the same Elementary School as Stevie Wonder when I moved to Detroit from Quebec, Canada. He was 4 years ahead of me, but he was a legend among teachers in his early teens!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 7:35 PM, rmlowz said:

CKLW I remember it well!!! Walking home from school with my AM radio.

I had a Detroit News paper route in 1968. Like any 13 year old, I loved music and listened to CKLW in Jr. High, which was a 1.5 mile walk each day. I saved money and bought a Zenith portable AM radio and a pair of Koss Brown headphose (they probably had 3" speakers in them). The radio came with a mono ear bud on a wire, so I cut the ear plug end off and wired the 1/8" mono plug to a 1/4" female adapter for the 1/4" headphone plug (wired in Mono, using the bought all this at Lafayette Electronics. Cassettes were just coming along then as a music medium. My dad told me I looked ridiculous with those things on my ears, but they kept them warm in the winter too. I may have invented the first walkman, and my friends think Sony stole my idea. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2023 at 6:27 PM, babadono said:

she's so fine..no tellin' where the money went

Ah yes, Kelly Harmon, daughter of football star, Tom Harmon, sister of Mark Harmon on CSI,  married John Z. DeLorean which made the other GM wives jealous. Gorgeous woman. All the siblings were movie star gorgeous kids.

Anyhow, I photographed JJ without the morning crew and all the WRIF, WMGC, and WCSX Jocks, including Arthur Penhallow, right before he quit the RIFF, because they didn't want to pay him what he asked. But that's another story.

I guaranty you that none of those 3 stations ever played even ONE Tony Bennett song!

(Hey, since I'm the OP, I gotta keep it relevant!)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

So you liked Guy Lombardo and Liberace when you were young?

Not at all but my mom loved them hence the piano lessons.  Never listened to either of them actually. 

I was a kid with a bike and a love for music so when a Gulf gas station opened a block a way I went lookin for a job.  They didn't have anything for a kid to do but since it was their grand opening they were giving away some FREE albums if you bought so much gas or had work done on your car.  You remember that I'm sure. 

I saw 5-6 boxes sitting there opened up for the give aways.  Never heard of any of em either but I wanted IN somehow when I saw that and the owners knew it cause I was lookin at em all. 

They said hey we've got some flyers you wanna ride around and put 'em on cars under the wiper blade?  Yea buddy I WAS their MAN.  I ran the gamit and the hospital was right across the street.  SCORE!  I also had a paper route so I put the flyers in the papers when I rolled 'em. 

Those two guys were gonna give me one of each but that wasn't the deal.  I just wanted ONE for some reason.  A Tommy Dorsey album of my own.  I'd heard of him.  That thing got played every day til it went into a pile when I started buying Motown.  Still have it here and someday I'll dig it back out.  Thanks for the memory cause it's a darn good album.  :)

Hey @ClaudeJ1 I did the SAME thing walkin to school.  Maybe a mile but my lil Emerson tansistor sister was thrown together w/some sort of headphones.  They ALL laffed at me but I was havin the last laff. 

Told ya we were related you just dived in the deep end of it all and never came up.  Look at you now.  Case closed!  I eventually found a truck inner tube complete w/Big Cat Malt Liquor or a Lil Kings and floated around in the pond havin visions!  Sometimes in cut off sometimes nekkie.  Depended on the menu for the day!    😂

I got your back big fella!  😂😎

23 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

I got your back big fella!

I'm assuming your are still enjoying LaScalas with flat bass to 30 Hz. or lower with the affordable "upgrade?"

Just in case Tony and Lady have a band whose bass goes that low!