Newb question here

kippyieh

JDM - You make an interesting point. Unlike preceeding center channel speakers, the RC-7 has the identical tweeter as the RF-7s, with the woofers being 2" smaller. I'm just thinking, though, that since the RC-7 has a "2.5 way" crossover, at 550 and 1950hz, the interaction between the tweeter and the woofers would be quite different than on the RF-7, with its single crossover at 2200hz. Seems that it would sound different than the RF-7, since any bass routed to a subwoofer (or even the mains set as large) is going to be below 80hz or so.

Yes, an RF-7 laying across the top of a TV DOES look different, but so do many other Klipsch speakers we love, like the venerable Klipschorn itself! Since when have we been about looking normal (LOL)?

DD

JDM, I do enjoy your posts... even when they fall off into suposition oblivion. While a "horizontalized" floorstander may look big... in practice they deliver far more bang for your buck than any other center. While to someone who has been there and helped other people get there... your remarks may be trivial... but the audio upgrade over a half-sized not as closely timbre-matched center is so huge that it represents the most important speaker upgrade that one can make with his Klipsch system.

Of course, since the PWK influenced Heritage line was designed to have big centers, they are the exception to the wimpy center syndrome we have been brainwashed by manufacturers to accept. When I listen to my stock K-Horns with a Belle in the middle, I am listening to a system that PWK had for decades in his own house... and they certainly don't conform to a wimpy center standard. Putting your best speakers on the right and left main positions makes sense for audio CD's because that's were most of the sound goes. Putting less than your best speaker in the center where even more of your sound goes with DVD movies makes no good audio sense. Granted, puny centers have a higher WAF rating because they look smaller... that's exactly what made the wimpy Bose systems the worlds largest selling speakers.

If you are looking to win speaker popularity contests on other than DVD movie audio quality, then the Jame D. McCall or Talk-to-Keith approach is something to consider. But, if you have the courage and ear to have your system be the best that it can be for the kind of movies that are now being made... and how they will be made in the forseeable future... it's time to consider the alternatives.

Since being absolutely blown away by how much better my Legend HT became by horizontalizing a KLF-30, there have been quite a few brave souls who have made the conversion... and not one who has tried it has ever posted on this Forum that it was a bad idea... in fact if you will search the archives, everyone agreed that it was a big step up. There was one fellow who converted a KLF-10 to replace a KLF-C7 with (as I recall) KLF-20 mains. He agreed that the KLF-10 conversion was easy to make, easily blew away the KLF-C7 but that he was going to follow my recommendation and find a KLF-20 to get a better timbre-match with his mains.

It will be interesting to see what becomes recognized as the best Klipsch HT configruations as HT's come into their own in the next few years. My frequent posts on this issue are ones motivated by sharing the truth... not for seeing my avatar online... I have already had my 15 minutes of fame... and then some! From the number of appreciative emails I receive from folks who do not want to be ridiculed by dissenters such as the usually eloquent and on-target James D. McCall... my posts are bringing happiness to more homes than most Forum folk realize. =HornEd

First of all, let me say I am all for people doing whatever it takes to achieve their own personal audio Nirvana, short of hallucinagenic drugs, that is. 12.gif I've been trying to get their for about 30 years, myself.

To Doug's point about the "2 1/2 way" crossover of the RC7 causing probable sonic differences with the RF7, I'd say "you bet"! I'd be really surprised if they didn't sound different, so that is a good point to consider. I must admit to being a big fan of that design, though. IMHO, it has a lot going for it.

But, I must say I'd also be really surprised if a third RF7, laying on it's side over a huge TV, didn't sound different from a vertically oriented RF7 that is on the floor and perhaps near a corner, too. For one thing, any time you array drivers horizontally on a baffle, there will be comb filtering effects in the horizontal plane at the frequencies that are covered by more than one driver. Of course, this is a problem that plagues nearly all dedicated center-channel speakers, too. (those darned dual mid-woofs!) Another problem is that big TV underneath the speaker. By having a full range RF7 directly above it, there will no doubt be some very pronounced effects on bass reproduction. More to the point, that center RF7 is going to "see" a vastly different sonic landscape than the left and right speakers see. Ain't no way in heck those three speakers are gonna sound the same. So much for timbre matching.

I do agree with ya HornEd, about the merits of the k-horn/belle trio. In fact, that will be my music room set-up in hopefully, just a few more days. (my belle was due to ship on the 23rd. 3.gif It's just that a belle isn't too practical for use as a video center unless it's sitting behind or below a projection screen, or beneath a tabletop direct-view or rear projector set. IOW, it has some limitations. But of course my wife says I do too, but I digress.

O mighty HornEd, please do not be offended at my stubborn rebuttals to your audiogospel. I do indeed respect your audiophile credentials and enjoy your posts. I just strongly disagree on this teensy-weensy point.

Your's Truly,

The Incredibly "Eloquent and On Target"

--JDMcCall 2.gif

What kind of router? IP? or Plunge? (LOL - but a serious question)

Sorry for not responding sooner, dougdrake! I'm not looking to buy a router. I'm "looking" for one to borrow when I do the HornEd mod. I don't know the difference between "IP" and "Plunge" and that's okay (for now). I don't need a new interest (like woodworking) to obsess over and blow my budget on like this HT project! :-)

Gordon