John Curl on PWK, K-horns, phase and time distortion

sunnysal

Builder---I've thought about it for years and while I think there are worse things a speaker can do I can find no virtues in time delay, if that's your meaning, which is kind of unclear. Mind that the difference between the basshorn and mid must take into account the path length of the basshorn and not merely the woofer's position in a vertical plane. Thus the Khorn has, what, 3 or 4 feet time delay between woofer and mid. That's quite a bit and as I said is danceing on the edge of what Hilliard considered audibility. So be careful listening to old musicals over Khorns. :-)

Tom...of course I do...but I listen to music through my speakers...I don't watch old movies with them...and if/when I ever DO have a H/T setup, I doubt I will be using anything other than a center channel speaker to watch any old movies that originally came with a mono soundtrack...LOL! BTW...my plan for a H/T system will incorporate Klipsch, but it won;t be what you are thinking of...LOL! I kinda envision MCM1900 for that...besides, I know how to build THOSE!!...it is just the driver cost that will break MY bank!!(ten K77 tweeters is gonna cost some big bucks!! add four K-43 woofers, and eight K55 squawker drivers...and two Cetec drivers for the subsquawker units...and the cost is gonna be way up there!!)LOL!

The much smaller amount of time delay in the Cornwall is clearly audible on certain program material. It is also relatively easy to remove it with an all-pass delay network on the woofer and compare the results with and without the network.

PWK constructed a demonstration that failed (the infamous Heresy shuffelboard experiment) and many people called him on it, he was very opinionated about this and was bound and determined not to let the facts distract him.

Unfortunately the all-pass delay network is of no practical use with the Klipschorn, a digital delay is needed.

Also unfortunate is the fact that most of the 'PRO' solutions are so lo-fi that the cure may be worse than the problem.

That was how PWK described it in a 'Dope From Hope'. One Heresy sans woofer was put out on the stage, the other sans Mid and HF was on a two wheeled hand truck. The mobil Heresy was placed at distances up to 7 to 8 ft away from the fixed Heresy. PWK claimed to hear no difference. No measurements were offered.