Attempting to veneer one Cornwall

Squishman

I have a 1979 CW that I use as a center speaker. It had some heinous fake plastic veneer that I removed with a heat gun. Now I want to find some real veneer, preferably some peel and stick variety. I have never done this before, but I think I can do an ok job. Can anyone tell me how much sq. ft. I need for it? Sides, top and front trim and also the original 2" pedestal. Hoping to find a color that will come close to the stain on my '75 La Scalas which are close to mahogany I think. It has a thin film of glue on it, which was too hard to sand off, so I gave up, hoping it might not be necessary. 

Staining is out of the question, even if I did get the glue off. It has approximately 9 screw holes in various places. I think that is weird that someone drilled into it for who knows what reason. I got the speaker for a steal though. It was about a 5 hour round trip and $375. So far, I have painted the front and back semi-gloss back. Also, the front of the pedestal was worn on the edges so I attached a 2" x 23 1/2" pine trim to it. I have the grill board. and a new era-correct badge, so hopefully it'll look great eventually. 

• Like 1

And, why is staining out of the question entirely. Holes can be fixed with wood putty, or other.

Are they that big. Matching the stain of the other speakers close enough should be entirely possible.

At some point, questions may arise about what the rear label, if legible says about the finish, or a pic if possible and speaker. Same for the pair you are matching to. If you are unhappy with outcome, other plans can come into it.

edit: seems the photos are not in order. But obviously, the one with my little dog was when I first brought it home.

Here is what it looked like when I brought it home and you can see the color of my LS. 

And then what it looks like with the formica cr-p removed. 

I was able to salvage the sticker, which for me was very exciting to find under the formica! Yes, they covered the back too!cw2.jpg.78c139f1c4b146f906a4a9455d553719.jpg

cw1.jpg

cw3.jpg

Edited by Squishman
photos out of order.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Squishman said:

Can anyone tell me how much sq. ft. I need for it? Sides, top and front trim and also the original 2" pedestal. Hoping to find a color that will come close to the stain on my '75 La Scalas which are close to mahogany I think. It has a thin film of glue on it, which was too hard to sand off, so I gave up, hoping it might not be necessary. 

- 4  sections of 38" x 16 " for the sides   

-  2 sections of 16" x 26"   for the  tops   

-  front trim   204 " x 3/4 "

-  risers  2" x 48"  for the front-sides  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

- 4  sections of 38" x 16 " for the sides   

-  2 sections of 16" x 26"   for the  tops   

-  front trim   204 " x 3/4 "

-  risers  2" x 48"  for the front-sides  

Great info 001. I will use this! But I imagine divide all of the above by 2 since I have one CW?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Squishman said:

divide all of the above by 2 since I have one CW?

yes ,

there is 1 other option which is  less labor intensive  ... you can  bond  CNC cut   1/4 inch pre-veneered wood  to the sides-top 

• Like 1

I would Google "how to apply wood veneer" to begin with. Then be sure all surfaces are sanded smooth. I veneered some plywood a few years ago. Not hard to do. You'll need a roller to smooth it out, but read about how to do it first. Should look nice. You can probably find lots of veneer wood options to match what you have in your LaScallas. Good luck.

• Like 1