La Scala acoustic treatment

beaufleuve

I have a front room that is mostly open on two sides, the left and behind the listener. openings are approximately 8' wide by 7' high. have my new la scala's in the "corners" and am thinking of some acoustic treatments. to me, they sound great right now, with little echo or brightness, but honestly I idon't have a lot of experience with how rooms should sound. I've heard great things about acoustic treatments and wanted to check them out.

will look at wall and corner options as well, but wondering if I should get a foldable acoustic screen to block off the opening to the left and maybe behind me. I like to listen at night, when kids are doing homework upstairs, so will help with that too. got to be foldable so can be moved aside during the day. I don't have many other room options in the house right now. 

if anyone has a recommendation on how to approach, what brands might work (not really a diy guy), would be much appreciated. also wondering if I should invest in some kind of sound-deadening curtains (I have 3 windows to the right you can't see, as well).

IMG_1584-2.jpg

I think you are on the right track with sound deadening curtains. I use these in my listening room. With the layout of the room, it looks like you don't have much problem with sidewall reflections. Some echo tunes or equivalent in the upper corners are good for slapback echo. And depending on what kind of bass situation you have, some corner tunes behind the speakers might be beneficial. Just depends on what you currently hear with the bass.

An opening is a perfect absorber at that location (no reflective surface). 

Consider a larger rug that comes closer to your La Scalas.  Colorful rugs used as artful wall coverings at reflection points from the tweeter and squawker may be useful.  You might consider building panels from a 1" wood strips with A/C duct board in the center and wrapped with an attractive woven fabric.  They would resemble cubicle walls.  Place them at reflection points.  If your SO will accept it, add insulated drapes to the windows and perhaps 2x as much as the windows need so they'll bunch up thickly.  That is what I've done to the windows behind my La Scalas. 

You probably won't need to do all of the above. 

You can find your reflection points with a small flashlight placed against the front of the tweeter or squawker and angled like the sides of each horn. 

I like a super dead room for Home Theater but a more reflective room for music with the wall behind the speakers reasonably non-reflective. 

• Like 1