Other 400hz Mid Compression Drivers?

BillyRyan

Has anyone had any experience with using any other midrange compression drivers down to 400hz; OR replacing the mid with a different type of horn? (I've noticed the Altec mods; what is their freq rating) There seem to be very few compression drivers that are rated that low in frequency. I'm toying with the idea of playing with the mids in my klipschorns. I'm wondering about: larger compression drivers, salad bowls with compression drivers, and rectangular tractrix with a cone driver. The mids will have a 24db active crossover at 400hz driven with a 300b SET. I plan on using a passive crossover between the squawker and tweeter. Thanks for any experience or input you may have. Bill.

If you are going to keep the tweeter, there are several drivers out there that will work. The problem is getting one that will go over 8k if it can get to or below 400 Hz. You will have to avoid the metal diaphragm drivers to go down to 400 Hz.

Yes, I'll keep a tweeter. Either the Klipsch or something else. It would depend on the frequencies that the mid could cover. I agree that the challenge is to find a compression driver that will go that low. Woodhorn.com (bmar) is working on a wooden horn that can go to 400hz and use the Klipsch driver. I would like to experiment with larger drivers, as well. Perhaps a compromise of 450hz would sound o.k. with the Klipsch bass horn rated for 400hz and a JBL or Altec compression rated at 500hz? (24db slope)

The only compression drivers I've seen that go down to 400hz are Selenium, ALE. Are there any others that come to mind?

I'm also very interested in a rectangular tractix horn. Has anyone ever tried a rectangular tractrix (ala Edgar) horn in a Klipschorn or LaScala?

I almost tried a Selenium driver. The D405 is rated 300 to 7000 Hz, but when you read the fine print even this driver has a recommended xover frequency of 500Hz . The frequency curve shows that is 10 db down at 300hz & 400Hz, and 6 to 8 db down at 500Hz.

I think it is extremely difficult to find a driver that you can xover at 400hz. I too would like any input on where to find one.

Look at my post under odds and mods. I'm trying to use an Altec 500hz driver and horn right now.

Billy---Altec 290 can be used down to 300hz on a proper horn. EV 1823 and 1824 can be used down to 400hz on proper horn. I've heard the TAD 4001 used from 400 up and as a 2-way, worked well but VERY expensive driver.

Research on the Audio Asylum High Efficiency forum for using this driver below 500hz.

There are 1" throat public address and siren compression drivers that will work well down to 400 and lower, try www.partsexpress.com

i'm using jbl 375s (2" drivers) on community brh90 fiberglass horns. they span the entire width of the cabinet, so i had to put the tweeters (ev t35) on top. i am very happy with their sound!! very detailed and accurate, with much wider sound stage than stock k-horns. the 375s have become pretty pricey, but i believe you can get a similar sound from jbl 2440 or 2441 2" drivers. if i remember correctly, the 2440 more resembles the 375's sound, and the 2441 has an extended high end compared to the other two. go to jblpro to get more info.

mr bob

The taper rate of the expansion from the phase plug to the throat on the 375/2440/2441 is more suited for a 400hz crossover than the 2446/2450.

The newer JBL drivers sound best crossed at 650hz or above.

The Community BRH90 is like a K5J on steroids.

I don't normally recommend Radian products, but the Radian 1245 diaphragm in a JBL 375/2440/2441, combined with a tweeter, is quite good on top of the Klipschorn.

The EV HR9040 is a similar sized radial horn intended for a 400hz crossover, the matching driver would be the DH1012.

The Altec 311-90 is a collectors item, the very similar BRH90 can generally be had for 1/10 the money.