What amp for my 1977 La Scallas

JRuss

I currently have an old Technics tube amp model # sa-5270. it has 165 watts and i was told that it was running 35 watts to my speakers. it sounds really nice like this but i want a newer amp that i can run more things off. in the future i plan to run my dvd and tv on it and possibly my computer. what type of newer amp can do this? and where can i get one for a decent price? I don't know a ton about amps so could someone let me know what is the best for these speakers that can still do these functions. and won't cost too much. and where is the best to buy it.

uh, I'm a bit confused about what you currently have, and what you want to do that it can't do. I thought the SA-5270 was a receiver, which would have multiple inputs to which you could attach your TV, DVD player (in stereo mode), whatever. Is the issue one of the following?

a) I've got my Technics model numbers screwed up, and you don't have a receiver?

B) You have a receiver, you have several things hooked up (turntable, CD player, tape deck, whatever), and you have run out of inputs and can't hook up more things?

c) You want to get into surround sound, and want a new surround sound receiver?

d) Somebody told you there's some reason why you can't simply connect your TV or DVD player to your existing SA-5270?

e) Something else?

Once again...Technics "SA" series were solid state receivers...not tube amps. To my knowledge, Technics has NEVER made any tube amps! Technics came on the scene sometime around 1972-1973...entering the market as Panasonic's "high-end" equipment division...(where previously it had been a Japanese audio engineer think tank) with turntables(belt and direct-drive), solid state receivers, solid state separates, cassette decks, speakers, etc...adding reel-to-reel decks by 1975...in addition to offering up a quad 8-track recorder, and numerous other accessory items. To my knowledge, Technics never offered up any tube items.

i sorry it is a reciever. u are right. i know i can hook some things up but i want to later hook my computer up to it to and play songs off there too. will it work with this reciever. i plan on running a cd player, dvd, tv, and computer. can it be done or should i buy something newer.

You can hook up anything that has a left and right channel output. To hook up your computer, you'd take a cable that plugs into the sound card in your computer on one end and has two RCA jacks, one left and one right, on the other end. If your TV has audio outputs on RCA jacks, you can connect it just like anything else. If your TV does not have audio outputs on RCA jacks, you can't connect it to a piece of stereo equipment. The DVD player will have both multi-channel outputs and two channel outputs. You can connect the two channel outputs on your DVD player to your Technics.

If you want to get into surround sound you will need to buy something new.

If you are thinking of staying with two channel stereo and are wondering if buying something new will sound better, my feeling is that for less than $200 you're not going to get anything that sounds *AS GOOD* as the Technics you have now.

If you don't want multi-channel, and have not run out of inputs on the Technics, I'd stick with it for now. Buying a new sub-$200 receiver and hooking it up the same way your Technics is hooked up would be a waste of money. IMHO. 2.gif

Ray

JRuss

it had me curious too,.so I checked and

TEchnics never made a Tube amp.

IF you want to keep it under 200, try finding

a well cared for Harman/Kardon A402

ITs a solid state, but touches on the CItation

sound of the earlier tube amps of H/K

And its a REAL 40 wpc,,dual power supplies

and a link at the back where you can split the

power amp/pre-amp, so you can use the amplifier and control center individually.

Plus it has the famous tri colour 2 channel

power display on the front,.just like the

Citations....of later yrs

You can find them on Ebay,..or at some of the

better used Hi FI stores

All in all a good value.

Another choice would be a Dynaco Sca 80Q

equally as nice, and as flexible

40W channel and a warm tube sound

Both of these amps are solid state.

this is the kind of amp you will want with

the Lascalla,..

NOthing too agressive,.like alot of the japanese recievers are.

you WILL notice a difference....

hope this helps

Rob

*oops

JRuss

well..maybe the 2 amps i mentioned won't be]

had for under $200.

But WORTH considering if you want to take a

big step up in sound..when you are ready

sorry man..$200 may not do it for these

but it won't be that much higher

Rob

For under 200 bucks(shipping included) he can get an old H/K 730 receiver...and have a nice sounding budget set-up...there are currently a couple of these on ebay, too! The 730 has two phono inputs, two complete tape monitor input/output circuits, and two aux inputs...enough for most anything he wants to hook up in STEREO...but it ISN'T a surround model!

Hi HDBR

oh.?i wasn't sure that he was after a reciever

specifically.

cool

I just thought he wanted GOOD sound.

the 730, and the A402 are simillar inside

anyhoo....less the tuner..

as for surround...well.........

alot of the surround recivers (mass) are

just awful.

Start with a real bang up amp stage,..then

try surround later...