Wall of KP Pro gear

W4VCO

Hello all. First post here but have been browsing the community for quite a few years. I have been tinkering with Klipsch speakers for a number of years now as I currently own Heresey I, Forte II, Chorus II, Cornwall I and just recently sold my Black Klipschorn AK3's.

I purchased a large lot (hence "wall") of KP Pro gear and I'm looking for some suggestions on what pieces to pair together. This will be setup in my 2400sq/ft hotrod shop and will be driven with various QSC MX series amps. What I have to work with is the following:

4 KP-3002C

4 KP-1000X

4 KP-4000X

2 KP-250

2 QSC MX1500

2 QSC MX2000

1 QSC MX700

The building is 40 feet wide (east to west) and 60 feet long (north to south.)

What I have planned so far is to mount the (4) 3002 with wall mount brackets in a configuration where two of them are on the east wall columns about 20 feet apart and the other two, one on the north column and one on the south column. They'll be about 10 feet off the floor. The north and northeast 3002 would be driven with left channel info and the southeast and south 3002 driven with right channel info. I spend most of my time in the West center part of the shop so I would be pretty well surrounded.

The big question is where to put the LF bins. As messy as an automotive shop usually is (and mine is) I don't have anywhere to put them on the floor so the only option may be to put them on some pallet racking six feet up or maybe even higher. Another question is if I were to use both the 1000's and 4000's what should the crossover points be?

I will be controlling all of this with a DBX PA2 Driverack. 

I have lots of other fun projects to talk about and will start threads on those soon.

See you all on the boards.

Julian

W4VCO

20231104_180103_HDR_(1).jpg

• Like 3

Dude, that's a friggin' wall.

I really doubt you'd need more than two of the subs and a pair of tops to blow everyone out of the shop.
Unless you're gonna do Movie Night with full surround sound.

I'm realizing 20 years after, that two of the subs on the left and a LaScala for top would have been the bass guitar rig I needed...

• Like 1

The sensitivity of the 3002's seems pretty good. I'm mostly pleased with their sound. The HF driver could be a little cleaner but I'm not in critical listening mode in the shop. The 1000's and 4000's have a completely different sound between the two. As you say, I probably don't need one of each per side but if I can get them to integrate nicely, why not?

"More is never enough."

I already have them on hand. I have a 500' spool of speaker cable on the way. Maybe I can start piecing this system together this weekend. I was hoping someone had already tried to tuck a 1000 in between a main and a 4000 that could give me a starting point for the active crossover.

If I come up with a suitable answer to this question I'll post it here. 

I didn't really plan to use all of it from the get go. Hmm. Four corners. That is a good option from an imaging standpoint. However the shop has lots of obstacles looking in from the corners. A two post and a four post lift, with the four post holding two vehicles in storage mode. A host of pallet racking along one wall. Floor space is absolute premium real estate and hard to come by. Unfortunately in this situation, music is secondary. I have to work around the many automotive and other metal projects going on.

I will probably only use one pair of 1000 or 4000 if I can't make them play nice together. Most folks seem to prefer the 4000 over the 1000. The passive XO point in both the 1000 and 4000 is 150hz. I suppose I can start there and move it around a bit to see how it sounds.

Julian

they dont have to be at the 4  furthest corners ,  you can bring em in closer into the shop , but  placed higher up , say 8 feet  with the 4  stacks facing each other at an angle  for the sound to  bounce lower  rather than into the rafters 

I was hoping to work on the project this weekend but Monoprice shipping put my label on a portable refrigerator instead of 500' spool of 14ga bundled speaker cable. I'm also hunting a good 19" rack to mount all the gear in. I thought I had one but the MX2000 amp is 19" deep so I couldn't close the doors on the Motorola cabinet I have. Always something.

Got the north/south 3002's hung. I'll probably angle them down a bit once I start some listening tests. I have 500' of jacketed #14 wire on hand. 1/4 TS 90 plugs and various interconnect cables are on the way. Still looking for a server cabinet that I can filter air before it blows into the cabinet to keep dust out. Piece by piece it'll get done.

20231121_203115.jpg

• Like 2

Two 18" subs paired with one 15" 2 way per side is perfect.  Sell the rest or use it elsewhere.

The subs cab be tucked under work benches, etc. to save space.

80hz crossover max, anything higher than that is never a good thing in my experience.  If you don't plan to crank it, I would set the x-over point even a tad lower on the subs with a high roll-off slope.

As long as you keep the very low stuff out of the mains, (below 60hz) you should be good to go.

Back in college I had a very respectable DJ set up in the basement for our parties.  I ran two DIY 18" EV subs per side with a 24db slope at 30hz high pass and an 12db or 18db crossover point at around 70-80hz low pass.  This kept the 18's from flying out of the cabinets when I had a little too much liquid motivation! I powered them with Crown Macrotech 2400's.  I paired the subs with DIY coaxial mains with a 15" woofer and a 1" concentrically mounted driver.  These were powered by a Carvin FET 1000 and FET 450.  I had the 15's crossed over at 80hz 12db slope on the low end and something around 2.5kz on the high end/

That sounds like a nice setup. I agree with the 80-100hz max xover for the LF cabs. Anything higher drones too much. I don't play it crazy loud as I like to be able to hear myself think when figuring out an engineering dilemma. 😆 It would be nice to bi-amp the 3002's but I don't want to run that much wire and honestly this isn't critical listening. They'll be just fine. Maybe I'll pull the cups and recap the passives one day. (Yeah right, when my project list gets down low enough.)

• Like 1

Parts and pieces showed up today. Hopefully I can start wiring it up this weekend. With the holidays here it seems like progress on projects slows down even more. I would've liked to have built the cables myself but there just isn't enough hours in the day anymore. I haven't found a good cabinet so I am going to go with the Motorola cabinet I have and just put some basic filtration in front of the fans on the QSC amps. 

The signal chain (on paper) looks like this, so far:

Source (PC/Sound blaster Live)

Crown Straight Line One Preamp

DBX PA2 Driverack

For the amps, I have options and more power than I truly need but there's nothing wrong with headroom.

I'll be powering 2, 3002 mains (paralleled) on each channel (2 left and 2 right so 4 ohms per channel) and 2 of the 4000 LF cabinets (8 ohms per.)

For amps I have 2 MX2000A's, 2 MX1500A's and 1 MX700A. 

The LF cabs need considerably more power to sound good, or so I've read.

So what's the combo? 

A 2000A to each 4000 bridged? That'd be 1300w into 8ohms. Might be a tad much. Even a 1500A for each 4000 bridged would be 1000w into 8ohms. 

The 700A (stereo configuration) into 4ohms makes 225wpc which would be plenty I think for the 4 3002's. The system won't be cranked real loud at all so what combo makes the most sense? Thoughts?

20231128_183643_HDR~2.jpg