Center Surround in 6.1

sb in SC

I just purchased the reference 3 series speakers. I will be updating an older (Pro logic) Kenwood receiver in the near future to one with 6.1 capabilities. What center (rear) surround would you all recommend with the RS-3II's as the side surrounds. It will probably have to be mounted (or suspended) to/from the ceiling.

Good afternoon,

I cann't answer your question, but I recently replaced my Pioneer 308 with a Yamaha rx-v630, and it's great. Music is cleaner (through the DVD), and movies are a new experience. I have found myself watching / listening to country musid videos it sounds so good.

I listened to several in the $500 price range at Tweeter, and this one won hands down. From what I could hear, it would have taken $1000 to have made a significant difference. It made quite a difference in the low end (bass) sharpness. I'm still learning how to set the Yamaha up. It works with my Synergy speakers.

I am also shopping for a (Synergy) rear suround.

good luck16.gif

Based on what I have learned here about timbre matching, another RC3II would be the choice for a rear surround. However, due to its size, mounting it on the ceiling or wall might be a problem. So, the RS3II might be a better option. At least some Klipsch speakers are predrilled for Omnimounts, and I recently bought a ceiling mount for a KV-2. You might look at the backs of your existing speakers (or in the instruction booklet) and see if either has been predrilled. If you go for an Omnimount, I found the best prices at Electronicaccessory.com.

For what it's worth, you may not have to purchase a rear center at this point. Most DVDs are not encoded with 6.1 separate channels, so the rear center has to be "matrixed" in 99% of todays DVDs.

If you are upgrading from a ProLogic receiver to a Dolby Digital / DTS receiver, you will be amazed at the difference without even thinking about the rear center.

----------------

On 1/29/2003 5:27:21 PM kmijeski wrote:

For what it's worth, you may not have to purchase a rear center at this point. Most DVDs are not encoded with 6.1 separate channels, so the rear center has to be "matrixed" in 99% of todays DVDs.

If you are upgrading from a ProLogic receiver to a Dolby Digital / DTS receiver, you will be amazed at the difference without even thinking about the rear center.

----------------

DTS-ES is true 6.1 right? Also, isn't DD-EX? Here is a link to a PDF file which lists DVS which are in DTS all the DTS... Make sure to read what the little triangels mean. 1.gif

Thanks for the replies. I am going to get another center (RC-3II) and use it as the center (rear) surround. Somehow I will either suspend it from ceiling, or get (build) a stand to hold it. I could put it on a shelf on the back wall, but that is about another 10 feet beyond my "listening" area.

I am definately going with 6.1. It would be nice to have for those DVDs which I already own that have that coding, and also for ones in the future. I can always turn that feature off on the receiver if I am playing a dvd without 6.1. (and use only 5.1)

Actually, DTS ES has two versions-DTS ES Matrix and

DTS ES Discrete. DTS ES Matrix is encoded such that

the rear center is matrixed into the side surround

signal and then decoded in the processor. DTS ES

Discrete has a separate discrete channel for the rear

center. DD EX (and THX EX) are encoded like DTS ES Matrix.

The signal for the rear center is encoded into the side

surround channels and decoded in your processor.

The matrix process for DD EX/THX EX and DTS ES Matrix is

similar to the old Pro-Logic encoding for the center

channel except that the signal encoded into the sides

is a full bandwith channel.

There is not much out there in DTS ES Discrete. Most

disks encoded in DD/DTS 5.1 can be played in DD EX or

DTS ES Matrix with varying quality of results for a rear center even though they are not encoded in EX/ES.

You too must be a sound and Vision Reader!

If not, in the most recent issues the questions is asked and answered regarding 6.1 channels of sound.

It seems as though the DVD source is the key.

I just don't think 6.1 gives that much more of a theater experience.

I reember reading articles where 10.1 channels may be getting closer and closer

(although far out of reach from the ordinary consumers).

I would have to agree with JDM here. Despite what you may read from some space cadets here, the WDST speaker does not process sound in and of itself. The drivers are simply aimed in such a way as to dispurse sound in such a way as to give more of an ambient sound, rather than a direct, more localizeable sound. That's why they are EFFECTS speakers. The action is/should be front and center.

I'm not sure you'll suffer using either speaker.

Keith