Help for modifications to a Type-E crossover?

Neandertal

I am attempting to make a hybrid Klipsch-like center speaker for my Heresy theater system. I have space, sheilding, and wife approval problems with standard Klipch centers. The crossover I have obtained for this project is a Type-E. I understand that the "E" has a woofer/mid cross at 700Hz. I would like to push it up to 1,000Hz. Is there a simple modification that can do this? I understand basic concepts of electronic but have not an education in the design of a crossover.

My target is a 1,000Hz and a 3,500Hz cross if I can can do such with the Type-E. If not, how can a person "build" such a beast?

Thanks,

Bert

Bert,

You can't change the crossover frequency of the "E" network becasue the crossover is determined by the squawker driver's frequency response. All it does is limit the extreme lows to the tweeter. I think you are attempting the design of a complete speaker system. That is not as easy as it might seem and certainly more involved that patching the network.

Al K.

Hello Al,

Thanks for the response. What I have is a K-77-V tweeter, EV MR-10 mid, K-1008-V woofer, and Type-E crossover. I hope to use the MR-10 but it has a low crossover in the 1000Hz range. The MR-10 and the K-77 use the same diaphragm and voice together very nicely. The horn is the near equal proportion to the mid horn of the Heresy. My desk top testing has the combo sounding pretty fair together and I am hoping that in the properly sized and vented box I will make an appropriate center for my needs.

I picked off of this forum the directions to make the "third" channel out of my 2-channel system using PK's design. Worked absolutly great with a Bogan mono amp. Really filled in the sound stage without removing the stereo definition. My problem began when I placed Heresy as my "center" under the TV.

I tried a Heresy as a center and found that it totally greened out the TV. I then used one of my old Yamaha NS-5's as my center. I now also share the available space with a sheilded sub so I no longer have room for a Heresy with bucking magnets as a center. The wife has also added the restriction that the "new" speaker must match the Yamaha as far as looks and size. This is the series of events that have led me to this endevor. The NS-5 just can not keep up with the Heresys.

I realize that the K-1008 will not egual the bass output of a Heresy but I will have it sitting beside my sub so the low volume will be fine. I best want to capture the voice range of the TV in this proposed center to best maximize my TV sound. As a sheilded woofer the K-1008-V is the right size and was cheap. I know it will work up into the 1000Hz range (and beyond) and should be a good "voice" woofer. If I could find a K-1011-V from an Academy I would be even happier but no luck so far. I am an avid cabinet maker so building the speaker with the available parts I have sounds like a good idea. I am afraid only of the crossover best utilizing the components I have.

Any advice on this proposal would be great.

Thanks,

Bert

I suppose you could use the Type E network, but the extensive changes you want makes it better to start over with a new network. I think you need 2 of those woofers, since you forst crossover is at 1k. Almost all of the sounds and music will be coming from the woofer. With one you will have trouble balancing the system. The K-77-? probably should not be operated below 5k. It will have better power handling and smoother response. It's long-term power rating is 2 or 5 watts from 4k to 20k. By raising the tweeter crossover, you will be able to use a simpler network design (2nd Order) and still protect the tweeter.

The impedance of the K-77-? should be considered 8 ohms from 5k up.