How to repair Heresy II cabinets?

svnftsmthng

You could do either, or something different. It depends on your woodworking and finishing skills, and your budget.

1) If you filled the chips and cracks with putty, you’d want to finish them so that the repairs wouldn’t stand out. Although some people (and restorers) can do wonders, I’ve never had much success disguising the repair.

2) Veneering just the damaged areas is challenging. You’d need to find veneers that are a good match to the existing grain. Then the repair would have to be finished to blend in. 

3) You could re-veneer the entire cabinets. That might necessitate using putty to get a smooth surface. If you have experience veneering, this wouldn’t be too hard. But it seems overkill given the modest damage to your speakers.

4) You could repair the damage (e.g., with putty) and then paint the cabinets. That would be easy to do, but would be a shame since the speakers are quite attractive.

5) You could leave the speakers as is and just enjoy them.

Lots of options …

• Like 1

4 hours ago, svnftsmthng said:

Just picked up some Heresy II and they are in really great shape for their age. But if I wanted to repair these nicks on the cabinets, what’s the best way to go about it? Wood Putty or would I need to re-veneer them?

Minwax color matched wood filler can do the job   https://www.minwax.com/en/products/maintenance-repair-tools/color-matched-wood-filler

On 12/11/2023 at 5:42 PM, Dave MacKay said:

You could do either, or something different. It depends on your woodworking and finishing skills, and your budget.

1) If you filled the chips and cracks with putty, you’d want to finish them so that the repairs wouldn’t stand out. Although some people (and restorers) can do wonders, I’ve never had much success disguising the repair.

2) Veneering just the damaged areas is challenging. You’d need to find veneers that are a good match to the existing grain. Then the repair would have to be finished to blend in. 

3) You could re-veneer the entire cabinets. That might necessitate using putty to get a smooth surface. If you have experience veneering, this wouldn’t be too hard. But it seems overkill given the modest damage to your speakers.

4) You could repair the damage (e.g., with putty) and then paint the cabinets. That would be easy to do, but would be a shame since the speakers are quite attractive.

5) You could leave the speakers as is and just enjoy them.

Lots of options …

Thanks for the solid advice. I’d most likely go with option #1 or #5, since the damage really isn’t much. But I know how my brain works and it’ll be itching to try to fix them.

23 hours ago, OO1 said:

Thank you! I’ll take a look.