WTB Looking for a DBX BX-1 !!!!!

wildchild

As title says, I'm in need of a DBX BX-1, single or a pair so I can bi Amp my CF-4s and Kappa 9s. I'm in the Florida panhandle in Navarre. If close enough I'll pickup or I'll pay shipping if your willing to box it correctly. Contact me here or e-mail at wildchild2002000@yahoo.com

Thanks

Edited by wildchild
Spelling corrections due to fat fingers

2 hours ago, wildchild said:

As title says, I'm in need of a DBX BX-1, single or a pair so I can bi Amp my CF-4s and Kappa 9s. I'm in the Florida panhandle in Navarre. If close enough I'll pickup or I'll pay shipping if your willing to box it correctly. Contact me here or e-mail at wildchild2002000@yahoo.com

Thanks

2 units for repair 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176139446139?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5337478673&toolid=10001&customid=ee703960-ac92-11ee-bf56-323265363036

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176139449694?hash=item2902bab55e:g:U4sAAOSwhcNkNyFZ

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Need... I say that very same thing lol 

A pair of them will make the lights dim in the whole neighborhood. 

Good luck getting them. 

I'm lucky enough to have one already!

If someone has a pair for sale I wouldn't turn my nose up to them.

Older gear so it's nice to have a spare. 

11 minutes ago, wildchild said:

Thanks checking them out now.

Ok I know about that one, ( Same amp different ads. Been on ebay for a year) a friend had checked out( the guy I bought my bx1 from) that amp. Needs a cover and has a constant buzz. Has a bad winding in the toroidal transformer. Unfortunately they are a unobtanium part. I'm sure maybe it could be rewound but by that time it would cost more to repair than it's value.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildchild said:

Thanks checking them out now.

I knew about those and didn't mention them for a few reasons. One is that I didn't want to knock other members here out of a chance to sell you theirs.
The ones on ebay have been on and sold there before. They were listed as 'parts or repair' and the seller is clear that they have problems and there are "no returns"... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildchild said:

Ok I know about that one, ( Same amp different ads. Been on ebay for a year) a friend had checked out( the guy I bought my bx1 from) that amp. Needs a cover and has a constant buzz. Has a bad winding in the toroidal transformer. Unfortunately they are a unobtanium part. I'm sure maybe it could be rewound but by that time it would cost more to repair than it's value.

We were responding at the same time. 

I have been looking for a while. It's sad to think of how many of there that used to exist. 

6 minutes ago, wildchild said:

Ok I know about that one, 

if you like old power amps  , you should be looking at the BGW 750 series  or their more recent amps ,  the sonic and build quality of these amps is a lot higher than the DBX BX-1

3 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

We were responding at the same time. 

I have been looking for a while. It's sad to think of how many of there that used to exist. 

True, I saw a few around back in the early 90s but it seemed like they just up and vanished. Then again any one I talk to that own one just won't sell them. 

I do love the clarity and how

non- coloring  they are. Serious oomph too.  I'm pushing a pair of Kappa9 and they never break a sweat, just effortlessly chugs along never gets hot.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, OO1 said:

if you like old power amps  , you should be looking at the BGW 750 series  or their more recent amps ,  the sonic and build quality of these amps is a lot higher than the DBX BX-1

The build quality of the bx1 is kind of impressive . Surprised at that opinion.

So I have a stack of old CS 800 peavey out in the shop. Maybe go in and recap with the better caps and transistors the BGW had. Basically the same amp just done cheaper.

Edited by wildchild
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, OO1 said:

Are you sure you're not thinking about the Asian built bx2 or bx3! The bx1 was built in Newton mass. Just before DBX sold out. I also own a BX3 and it's  hot mess compared to the bx1. 

Edited by wildchild
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wildchild said:

The build quality of the bx1 is kind of impressive . Surprised at that opinion.

So I have a stack of old CS 800 peavey out in the shop. May e go in and recap with the better caps and transistors the BGW had. Basically the same amp just done cheaper.

Those are facts. If that's the quality you want, just buy a Peavey. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wildchild said:

I have a stack of old CS 800 peavey out in the shop. May e go in and recap with the better caps and transistors the BGW had. Basically the same amp just done cheaper.

I've never used the CS 800 or any Peavey amp in our commercial installations  , we only use BGW amps  ,  these are real workhorses   , but as long as you have the CS 800   , yeah , I would get these up and running  if you think you can upgrade the amps to BGW standards .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OO1 said:

I've never used the CS 800  or any Peavey amp in our commercial installations  , we only used BGW amps  ,  these were real workhorses   , but as long as you have the CS 800   , yeah , I would get these up and running  if you think you can upgrade the amps to BGW standards .

If you open up the 800 you will see the similarities. The BGW just used better quality output transistors and better quality capacitors. The story goes that they both were designed by the same engineer but I really don't put much faith in old internet fairytale.  But I have been inside both and the similarities are stunning.

22 minutes ago, wildchild said:

If you open up the 800 you will see the similarities. The BGW just used better quality output transistors and better quality capacitors. The story goes that they both were designed by the same engineer but I really don't put much faith in old internet fairytale.  But I have been inside both and the similarities are stunning.

as long as you own the CS800 ,   you can do whatever you think is best , or if the price is right , you can offload the CS 800 amps after doing a slight refurbishing  and get yourself  the 750G  , or you can buy the parts  through your distributor and bring these amps back to full operation .  

36 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Those are facts. If that's the quality you want, just buy a Peavey. 

I've been inside all 3 of the amps and plain n simple the DBX is better built, has quality components,  wired and soldered extremely well can play and sustain a 1ohm load easily at 1200 watts. I'm pretty sure  the BGW and Peavey isn't capable of that ohm load, especially bridged. Yep just looked it up, only good to 2ohm in 2 channel and 4ohm in bridged. 

3 minutes ago, OO1 said:

as long as you own the CS800 , you're all set with a good platform , and you can do whatever you think is best , or if the price is right , you can offload the CS 800 amps after doing a slight refurbishing  and get yourself  the 750G  , or you can buy the parts  through your distributor and bring these amps back to full operation .  

I've listen to a bgw 750 and I do like them but they're not capable of the current needed and ohm load that the Kappa 9 put on a Amp. The 750 is good down to 2ohm in 2 channel and only 4ohm bridged, and I bridge most of my amps. The 9s go to .8 ohm load when pushed hard, and I do push mine hard. 

My DBX BX-1 handles that easily and effortlessly while sounding amazing.  I believe you are thinking of the later DBX amps that weren't built in Newton Mass.  The bx1 cam run will Krell and Levinson all day.

You might be looking for a unicorn.

I used to have a BX-1.  Mated it with a McIntosh 2102 and biamped.  Monster of an amp (bx1).

I loved that it could be configured between 2,3,4 channels.  I also have a Bx3 and used it to biamp system when I was in Florida.

I however, sold my Bx-1 because of (what I understood was either at hand or coming down the pike) unobtainum of parts.  Swapped out for some Crown K2's.  Sonically, I don't notice any difference (I won't say there isn't any to be open to those who do hear differences) but it ended up buying me a K2 AND put some cash in my pocket.  Today, I have three K2's in the system.  I have the Bx3 in the closet as I think I've deduced it needs a service call.  I had/have it plumbed into my rear LaScalas and had tons of distortion out of one of them (wasn't speaker) so pulled plug until I put in time to figure out where to send it for service.

Always liked dbx stuff.

Bx1 is sitting under the 2102.  

Good luck in your search but please do NOT call me to help lug it up a flight of stairs.  I about died when I carried mine both up then down the stairs.  Glad it has handles!!!

3.JPG

• Like 1