monster cable upgrade for the kg5.5's

Not that I've seen yet. Although Jim Cornell and myself have both rewired the inerds of (his) Cornwalls and (my) KLF-20's. This was done while dodging the slings and arrows of those non-believers and/or hearers and offered it all for public praise and/or ridicule here on the forum. We did it with Original Monster Cable (OMC) 12ga. found most places. I got mine from Radio Shack for about half a buck/foot. Fifure on spending a least a few hours on this project if your going to solder ALL the connections on the drivers and crossovers.

I plan on rewiring mine with some old monster cable I've had laying around for years. I also plan to use some dynamat or caulk on the horns. Right now, I'm building my center channel speaker using a K-85-K horn as well as four K-1075-SV 6.5" woofers. I'll be wiring those speakers from the get go with monster cable, then later I'll redo my KG5.5s.

TTK-

Well, it went pretty well given the amount of time it took (24 solder connections per speaker). The highs are definitley smoother. I wasn't looking for that in the beginning really, I was concentrating on the LF and the mids. The best reference I can put the HF to would be a Stevie Ray Vaughn cd of "Couldn't Stand the Weather" hearing the drummer hit a snare(?) when all else was quiet from the band. Before the wire change there was a sharp piercing percussion to that drum hit. Now, it's not as sharp but still doesn't leave you wondering if something was wrong. I think the song was the title track of the album (#2). The mids are now silky smooth and not harsh one ioda. I never had the pleasure of listening to a nice tube amp set up but with mids like this I can get a bit of an idea. The LF has a lower extention that you can just about feel before you hear it with some lower registers (<40Hz).

Now, I think the biggest limitation to the system may be the amp, a Rotel RB-1080 (200wpc). It's Stereophile's suggested equipment list but one of the downfalls they give it I find very true. At lower volume levels it sounds rather flat (not the good kind). But start cranking it and it comes alive pretty well blending all the music together to where it makes you wish no body else was around so you can practice your air-guitar9.gif.

In light that I really would like to a McIntosh MC-202 because right now I'm too chicken to get into tubes (that maintenance thing).2.gif

----------------

On 1/31/2003 7:59:32 PM talktoKeith wrote:

I always liked my KG's with the exception of their edge. Thanks again.

----------------

Is the edge you are talking about coming from the horns? If so, have you caulked your horns? Just curious...

----------------

On 1/31/2003 6:20:03 PM tblasing wrote:

Well, it went pretty well given the amount of time it took (24 solder connections per speaker).

I was just planning on crimping connectors for my re-qire and not soldering the wires, but come to think of it that probably wouldn't get me much benefit.

Has anyone tried rewiring with just crimped-on connectors instead of soldering? If so, what were your results?