To mod or not to mod...that is the question!

jt1stcav

I've been a Forum member for only a short time, but I've read both good and not-so-good things about modifying our treasured horns. To be perfectly honest, I love my original Cornwalls the way they are, but some have said that ALK crossovers and silver wire are the way to go, and I'm sure the owners of such mods are very pleased with the results.

Some say it's time to replace the oil caps and the terminal posts, etc. I know, I know..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it", and I've pretty much always beleived that statement. But with new technology out there improving our way of listening, and the fact that the Heritage Series (albeit the Heresy IIs) now has Monster Cable residing inside their cabinets (are their crossovers updated also?), then maybe it's time to retire the original crossovers with something new and improved.

So I'm at the mercy of my fellow Klipschans out there in ForumLand that have been there and done that. Even though I'm happy with my Cornwall's sound, I might be overwhelmed with glee at the sound of an improved new design, but I'd hate to spend that much money an not like the results (or worse yet, not even hear any improvement). I know my ears are the final judge, but I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who have been bitten by the mod-bug and have or have-not liked what they've heard. There's also something said for owning something all original for future generations to enjoy, especially due to the fact that the Cornwalls are no longer being built.

Vintage vacuum tube amps and preamps are mentioned on the Two-channel Forum being modified all the time, so maybe there is some merit to upgrading my beloved Cornwalls too! Then again, if someone jumped off a bridge, should everyone else follow suit?

Your comments would be appreciated...sorry for such a long post!

I could live with a pair of Cornwall II with only a couple of mods.

Cut off the push on connectors and solder the wire straight to the drivers (like the original Cornwall does).

Put some MoreTite rope caulk on the backside of the mid horns in the throat area.

The nice looking red and black binding posts on the Cornwall II tend to strip real easy, this may or may not be a problem for you.

I also like the original Forte, subject to the above. The Forte also needs a block of foam between the back of the mid driver and the back of the cabinet, the back can actually move enough at high volumes to rattle against the mid driver.

The Cornwall II has a brace from the front baffle board to the rear of the cabinet.

Loosely speaking, there is room for improvement in any product.

go for it !!!

what are hobbies for anyway ??? tinker , putts around , screw things up then turn around and fix again. lol

If your ear thinks there may be room for improvement then by all means go for it. But if there is nothing wrong with the sound now then leave things well enough alone. easy choice

Don't pay any attention to these YoYo's. CornWallopers were never anything more than PWK's attempt to make a couple of bux selling some speakers that wouldn't sound great on a Craig 8-Track system because almost nobody could afford Khorns !

Here's the deal amigo - Send me those stinking Corns and $1000.00 (small bills only please). I'll give them a once over and tell you what needs to be done to make them sound decent and send that crap back to you. Bear in mind that freight connections to your place are a tad dodgy so return delivery could take a bit of time.

Har, har...lynnm, say what you will about my beloved Cornwalls, but don't be dissin' 8-track! My dad had a Craig/Pioneer 4+4 Model 3401a installed under the dash of his '63 Mercedes-Benz 190D, and I can still remember it cranking out the tunes from such venerable (and clunky) cassettes...Glen Campbell, Al Hirt, and the movie soundtrack to "Patton".9.gif