Onkyo TX-2500 Indicator Lamp Replacement Housing

BadChile

A few months ago I picked up an Onkyo TX-2500 on the cheap since it was sold as one channel dead.  While that fix is a cool story in and of itself and is worth mentioning that the fault was oxidation on the tape monitor switches and resolved with a spritz of DeOxIt [the signal path after the preamp section goes through the tape monitors before being sent to the amp board, so oxidation on the contacts results in a dead channel - these seems to be a common fault with these units]; what is really cool is the fix for the tuner indicator lamps.

The laps for the tuner indicators (Tuned, Locked, Stereo) are housed in a rubberized sheath that holds the lamp in place, secures the assembly to the unit, and prevents light bleed from one indicator into the next.  Brilliant design but unfortunately the ravages of time and heat from the lamp took their toll and the rubber became embrittled and instead of sliding out of the retention clip the housing disintegrated in my hands.  Neither swearing nor super glue fixed the issue, so I turned to my son (14!) and his 3D printer for help.  Took a handful of measurements, opened up Blender, and made me a replacement part that after a few tries fit perfectly.  Snug enough opening to hold the lamp, works well, and can be held in place with double sided tape.  Looks even better than the original since he went the extra distance and put the Onkyo logo on the part.

He was so proud of himself he proceeded to print a copy at four-times scale to show off.  Which I'm now sharing with you.  What he did was simply awesome and I'm one proud dad of his accomplishment.

The refurbished Onkyo TX-2500 currently is driving my Hersey III in the main system - it moved the Harmon Kardon 430 off the "top shelf" and over to the system my wife uses driving a pair of KG1.  Replaced a handful of parts, including the original single-turn trimmer resistors for Center Voltage and Idle Current with 25-turn trimmers to allow more accurate setting of these two features.  [Quick Note on the Center Voltage and Idle Current Adjustment - there is some confusion online with where to measure as the manual references a "CT", "E" and "ID" terminals and no one seems to have got it right.  The three locations are pins (three for each channel) on the amplifier board near R504 and R604, respectively, see chassis layout Figure 19 (TX-2500) or Figure 21 (TX-4500) in the service manual.]

Photo Key

1) Foreground left to right shows replacement 3D printed housing with lamp, original housing (broken, back side), original housing (front); background shows replacement housing at four times scale.

2) Installing two of the new housings and new housing at four times scale.

3) All three housings installed (one on left accidentally has Onkyo logo on underside).

4) Action shot.

Picture1.jpg

Photo 1 - Left to right: replacement housing (front with lamp), original housing (rear), original housing (front)

Picture2.jpg

Photo 2 - Left to right: two housings installed with replacement leads, four times scale model part.

Picture3.jpg

Photo 3 - all three housings installed, note the one on the left is upside down.  Don't tell my son.

Picture4.jpg

Photo 4 - in service, looking awesome!

• Like 1