Tone and Loudness

middlecreekguy

Many components that still provide tone controls also allow the option of switching them out of the signal path entirely. This is the set-up on my humble-yet-lovable Sony ES integrated. Sort of the best of both worlds, eh?

Personally, as long as they are set flat I can't tell a bit of difference whether they are in or out; Not even with headphones.

So, seeing as how the recorded tonal balance that ends up on polycarbonate or vinyl can vary from one extreme to another, and that everyone's room, equipment and hearing differs, I can't imagine why anyone would not want them, especially if they can be switched out anyway. Actually, my idea of the perfect "tone control" would be a remotely controlled five-band digital parametric (per channel!)...that could be switched out for that genteel, purist thang.2.gif

I had a Yamaha CX-1 pre that had tone control bypass.

I prefered the tone controls, I seemed to always want the bass a little more than flat with my old Chorus II's.

The treble was a about at ten o-clock, below flat.

The treble and mid was pretty hot due to room size.

Nowdays? Tone controls? I don't even have a pre-amp!

You can get used to living without a TC circuit, it just sucks when you play a favorite sh!t recorded CD or whatever.

The well recorded CD's sound great.

I don't know, tone controls aren't a bad thing.

I guess it depends on the perspective of your system approach.

When I moved to a preamp without tone controls the sound quality improved.

I then discovered the importance of fine tuneing speaker position. Gone were the days of Lazyboy remote control splender.

Replaced now with the drudgery of speaker toe-in, toe-out, tilt-up, distance from the back wall, distance from the side wall, reflective walls, defusing materal, absorbing material....

Sound quality is up. Body weight is down.

Intersting... my wife and I were having this discussion just yesterday. After reading HDBRbuilder's comment about too much wattage causing tweeter damage, I decided to swap (from storage) my Marantz MA-500 monoblocks (125w/ch) for my first real amp, a Caver CM-1090 (100w/ch - has tone controls that can be bypassed). We listened to alot of music, and decided that the Carver was "warmer," while the Marantz was cleaner, which follows what Karen said, but a bit harsh.

----------------

On 2/2/2003 11:29:54 AM mdeneen wrote:

My ears, perhaps unlike others, have built-in tone controls. As the overall loudness goes down, so does the bass and treble. So, playing a tune at moderate level would have a completely different tone structure than the same tune at loud level. I always found that annoying.

mdeneen
----------------

I think this is actually the case with most peoples ears.

This is something that good audio engineers will take into account when mastering an album.

But then there are those albums that don't seem to have been mastered at all14.gif

Peace, Josh