reciever, reciever, reciever.

firefighter

I have no real knowledge or experience on home audio, however I think I know what I want. The reason I am writting to this forum is because a friend gave me a pair of Klipsch Heresy II speakers, they seem to be in very good condition with a dark wood that he had refinished before I recieved them, from what I have read here they are probably mid to late 80's. I told him that I had to do them justice by buy a good reciever.

The price I have set is $500, originally I wanted stereo but a 6.1 may offer more versatility for the future. I want phono and cd'dvd, one unit I was considering was the Yamaha rx-v730 with 75 watts per channel, it appears to have the capabilities I want with the qualities that are discussed by most on this forum such as, Dolby pro logic II, Dolby digital, Dolby digital EX DTS and DTS "ES compatable", Cinema DSP digital, 96kHz/24-bit DACs.

Has anyone heard this reciever, is 75 watts enough power, would this reciever be compatable with my speakers.

I am sorry for being so long and having so many questions, ( I could go on ) but I value the opinion of the people here even though the language you speak at times is Chinese and the knowledge you posses overwhelming. Thank you for reading, any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

----------------

On 2/2/2003 12:18:57 PM newsystm wrote:

Dolby pro logic II, Dolby digital, Dolby digital EX DTS and DTS "ES compatable", Cinema DSP digital, 96kHz/24-bit DACs. ----------------

You have a pair of Heresys and want an AVR, so I assume you are building a HT around more Heresy or Klipsch Heritage speakers. 6 Heresys and a $500 AVR would be a delight. I wouldn't recommend mixing different families and especially different brands of speakers--especially along the front wall (center and mains).

In the under $500 range Denon and Outlaw are also popular with Klipsch owners. I bought the Outlaw 1050 which has sonic performace comparable to any of the sub-$1k receivers. It doesn't have some of the DSP features you listed due to age (PLII, EX--it has a proprietary 6.1) but I don't feel I need those features. I thought I'd read that some feel the Yamaha might be a brighter receiver which isn't ideal w/Klipsch.

It would be easy to listen to Yamaha and Denon on some new Klipsch and see if you have a preference.

Hey man,

I just bought a Yamaha rx-v630. There was a big difference between it and the Denon of similiar price. The Denon kind of sounded bad in comparison. Now that's just my ears in the Tweeter store playing through Synergy speakers. The Yamaha is night and day compared to my older Pioneer. Congrat's on the gift of Heresey.

Good luck,

Chris2.gif

So I assume you compared it to the Denon 1803. Yamaha and Denon are head on competitors and respected names so which ever one you like is great.

See if your dealer has some floor model or customer return items with a good warranty. That's a good way to get the price closer to the on-line prices.

If you are only listening to a pair of Heresys there's a lot cheaper and better options for 2-channel only but since you are in the HT board I assume that's not the case.

Thanks for the response.

I haven't listened to the Denon 1803 or the Outlaw 1050. The one day I went to look at recievers, I realized how unarmed of knowledge I was, it didn't take long to see that I needed to educate myself as best as I could before making a purchase, and a salespersons opinion about my speakers with his equiptment is not what I needed. The reciever now became secondary as I had to get to know my speakers, after reading here for a couple of days I found more information than I could consume, all this led to a somewhat educated decision, but what was equally important is that the Klipsch loyalty seems to have been earned, not demanded, therefore making it not only realiable but respected, that solidified my to all end all speaker choice and all future speakers will be Klipsch.

Here, the writters to my questions and all others have helped narrow my search to 3 or 4 recievers, no longer will I go blindly to a store and allow the salesperson with the best pitch or best looking equiptment to make a sale, but now can target the equiptment you have recomended and make my choice.

I am a family man as I'm sure some of you are, so the system building priority doesn't fall to the back seat, it gets stuffed in the trunk, (willingly) I might add, it will take me years to build it. I will continue to read here because I believe you have and will helped me spend my money wisely and for that I am grateful.1.gif

Sorry to add more to your confusion. If u r looking for a sub 500$ receiver, with all the bells and whistles, do give the Kenwood VR 6070 a look. I have this unit and it's a solid performer. I think no other receiver has so many features in this price range.

All the best for ur search.

-kpq

I have the Yamaha rx-v630 and it is a great performer. I think it has all the features one would want in a 6.1 receiver. I really think you will find much more difference in sound by the speakers you choose. I have in the last 6 months replaced my old speakers (polk audio) with the klipsch line, The difference is spectacular. The polks are fine speakers but they just need to much power to achieve the dynamic range the klipsch reach with their high sensitivity. music takes on a whole new dimension and movies just come alive.

Its highly unlikely I will be stepping into a theater in the near future, Just cant compare.3.gif3.gif

OK

Where are all the Yamaha fans?

HTR 5590, RX-V1300 both in the low to mid $500's on-line. Even last year's RX-V2200 is $580/600.

I know some say they are bright or forward and that the Klipsch are also bright so it makes a too bright combo...

Hogwash

I've had Yamaha/Klipsch 2-Channel combo for 8 years and loved every minute.

I went shopping for a 6.1 A/V receiver and tried HKs, Denon 3803, Onkyo, Marrantz, Pioneer and every time I could A/B them on Klipsch against a Yamaha, it was no contest.

Maybe it's me & I like just the match-up, but I don't think so. There is a richness in this match you don't find everywhere.

Whichever way you are leaning, Go Listen before you decide.

Yamaha Fans?

I am now!

I just bought a DSP-A1, used, but really almost mint. Not a receiver, as there is no AM-FM, but MAN, the difference between the Yamaha and my Sony DB-940 is almost night & day. Same power rating, but not even close.

The A1 was a TOTL a couple years ago for an integrated, and was worth the $550 I paid for it on Ebay. Excellent DAC's and more sounfields than I'll ever need or use.

Jobman

Synth,

How's the Dyanaco doing?

I'm still using my old Hitachi Receiver for it's phono stage to TT. I'm going to put my Dynaco PAS3 to work with the ST70 and TT separated from my HT next. I wanted to buy a Cary pre-amp but at $700 I'll have to wait.

I currently have the Dyna hooked up to the Outlaw but I'd like to hear it with tube preamp.

Do you turn the ST70 off?

I'm in the same boat as you. I think I already made up my mind to go with the Yamaha RX-V630. I was considering the Denon 1803, but I liked the sound the Yamaha produced on RF3ii's better than Denon.

They are both good receivers though. Go listen to your speakers with them at a local shop and decide for yourself which you like better. Take time to play with the remote, features, setup, etc, because that also plays a major part. 1.gif