500 budget

Jordan Kjome

If you were stuck with a $500-600 dollar budget, and youre room were only 9*12, what would you get for a sub? I listen to music 50% and movies 50%, so I want something that can put out huge bass for music, and be turned down to the perfect level for movies. Also, I really dont care how big the speaker cabinet is, "I'll make room!" My set up is RF-3II, RC-3II, and SB1 surrounds.

Also, how do you compare the KSW-15 to the RSW-10? Because I can find them for only a difference of $150. Does the RSW-10 really put out huge, "loud and relatively low bass", enough to please me in my small room? Thanks

IF cabinet size is not a problem, you may want to search ebay for a JBL PRO 4638 or 4648 bassbin. While not technically a sub woofer, in your room it will hit 25 hz with authority.They are 101db efficient! These were sold for $216 delivered online at the JBL tent sale. They are all gone now, but there were 1500 or more sold, so there are a few out there. These require a separate amp, which can be had for ~$125 at parts express.( 250W I Believe) These are HUGE boxes, 2 15 inch woofers per cabinet, and weigh in at 145 lbs. each. There are many here on this BB who took advantage of the tent sale and I think most will agree this was a LOT of bank for the buck.( Myself included!) These big old boxes had a list price of around $1100, and they were designed for use in movie theaters.

Valvoline is right on here, if you can find the JBL cabinets. I've got two, and these give more high quality bass than I can use! Clean, tight, high output - perfect for keeping up with those super efficient Klipsch!

In a small room such as yours, you can get very good bass with one of the low priced SVS models (at www.svsubwoofers.com). Look at the PC powered cylinders - one of these will give lots of good clean bass in a very reasonably priced package.

Some options to consider: I've read good things about this sub kit that is easy to assemble. Cabinet is shipped assembled so you really just installing the components.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?st=0&st2=0&st3=0&DID=7&Product_ID=15171&DS_ID=3

The Velodyne CHT-10 really got a good review in the February issue of Home Theater magizine.

I own SVS & Velodyne and like both. The SVS having a circular footprint is easier to place (fits better in more places) and much easier to move around (just tilt & roll). The SVS powered subs also have all the necessary controls you would ever need.

Getting huge concert type bass on music is difficult to reproduce in any room with dimensions less than 30-40 feet due to low frequency standing wave issues. Quality of bass will depend alot on how your room interacts with the sub.

Doug C