Do you think going from a KV-1 center to an RC-3 will make a big difference?

juladler

Right now I have a set of KG 4.2 speakers, a pair of quintet surrounds and a KV-1 center channel. While movies are playing, it sounds okay, but I've never thought it sounded quite right. I ran the Avia Home Theater guide setup, and found that my KV-1 doesn't match my KG 4.2 speakers at all (they play some white noise, and the timbre is supposed to sound the same on the fronts and the center: mine sound completely different!) So I'm thinking of upgrading to a RC-3 (which is what the speaker chart recommends). So I was wondering: <br>

* Had anybody else gone from a KV-1 to an RC-3? Did it make any difference?

* Does anybody have any comments about the RC-3's?

Thanks in advance!

juladler, don't have a lot of personal experience with the RC-3(dealer showroom)but I can tell you there will be a lot of difference in output of the two speakers.Now whether or not you'll like the sound of the RC3 is another story.Go listen and good luck.

Keith

• 2 years later...

juladler,

sounds like you have a problem. without a doubt the only speaker that will match your kg4.2 is another kg4.2 for the center channel. without knowing your set-up i'm guessing this will probably cause extreme sqirshing of your tv when you put a kg4.2 on top of it. you might try something a little smaller in the kg line-nothing smaller than the kg2.5- perhaps one above and one below your tv. the rf-3 is going to be brighter sounding, perhaps you may prefer that. if you decide to sell your kv-1 i'll be glad to take it off your hands.

skipper

Klipsch recommends the KG-2.2V or the KG-1.2V as a matching center for your KG-4.2's.

The smaller KG Bookshelfs or Floorstanding models would also work as surrounds. The Reference Series are not a timbre match for your KG's, so sounds would not flow seemless when they pan from left to right. I would keep an eye out here, and at auctions sites like eBay and Audiogon.com for the appropriate center and suitable KG speakers for surrounds. Your listening pleasure will increase immensely when you have a timbre matched system!