advice on selling and/or restoring old La Scala speakers

Hello,

I have a pair of La Scala speakers that my father purchased in the 1980s.  I believe the wood is birch with a stain.  Unfortunately they got scuffed up by some movers and so probably need some minor restoration.

Some questions:

***Any idea how much these are worth?  

***Would it be best to restore them before selling?  Or sell in current condition?

***I see the Garage Sale forum here / so I guess I could list them there.  But any other places that would make sense?  I am based in the LA area.

Warm regards,

GR

14 hours ago, GR5000 said:

Any idea how much these are worth?  

We will need pictures to determine that. Once condition is determined,  E.G. 9 out of 10, 5 out of 10, etc. Then you need to decide if you want to make a premium or a quick sell.  Depending on condition, prices can range from $500 to $2500.  $500 being rough amd a quick sale versus $2500 for pristine conditions and be willing to wait for the right buyer. The garage section is a good place, as a couple of Facebook froups such as audiophiles on budget, horn speaker marketplace and Facebook Marketplace.  GLWS.

• Like 2

I live here in LA too.  I just sold a pair of LaScalas, as I was not able to pay for a restoration, because they were rough or scratched on the outside too.  The guy I sold them to, spent the day with a friend, they did a light sanding on the three outsides, top and left and right.  They put lacquer on the three sides, and they looked great.  It did not look too tough, but they sure look good now. 

I would tell you that I regret selling them, and this just happened a few weeks ago.   If they are you end all speakers, and they were a good deal, then consider not selling, and re-furbish them yourself.  If you want to sell, then marketplace, and a few others are good spots to start.  The market is the issue, as you will rarely get what you really want for them, as everyone is looking for a deal.  I saw a FB group post of a guy looking for a pair, and I contacted him.  The cost diff between as-is and restored might be negligible.  I was looking at a $2k restoration, which I was going to save for and have someone do, for me.  I was nervous about doing it myself.  Lots of these things depend on how much you love them, if you're the original owner etc.  If you purchased them for a hell of a deal, and could make decent money, without restoration, these might be easy decisions.  

Good luck, Martin

On 3/3/2024 at 11:22 AM, MartyP said:

I would tell you that I regret selling them, and this just happened a few weeks ago. 

That is a common refrain around here. I've had a very nice pair and sold them. Regretted selling them before the day was over. The second pair were beaters, but still missed them. They weren't sold but given to my older son.

• Like 1