Harman/Kardon receivers

gtDark

I know HK has a big following in a lot of these forums so I'm sure you guys can tell me.

1--I was looking at the AVR 325, which has only 50 WPC when driving 7 channels. Is this enough power ? even for my super efficient RF3 II's ? The other Denon's I've been looking at in the same price range (2802) deal out around 100 WPC.

2--Specs will rate receivers at amplification/power for stereo (2 channel) and it's multichannel (either 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 whatever). For example, the HK AVR 325 does 2 channel at 65 WPC and 7 channel at 50 WPC. If I wanted to use this receiver for only a 5.1 system (note this is neither stereo or 7 channel, but in the middle), would the power per channel be only 50 watts because I'm using more than 2 channels, or would the power be prorated linearly, at like medium power rating maybe around 55 WPC ?

Thanks, Matt

Matt - I don't know if there's an answer to your question about interpolating the wattage for 5.1, but since the span is only 15 wpc from stereo to 7.1, that isn't very much of a difference in terms of audible output or ability to handle transients. I don't think I'd spend much time on that -- just say it's somewhere between 50 and 65, and that'll be good enough for evaluation/comparison purposes, IMO.

Doug

Yeah Doug, I wasn't asking that question because I thought those few extra watts would make a difference audibly or sound performance-wise; I was just asking for the principle of the thing, just to know how it worked. Just curiosity really. Anybody know about how well a HK receiver with 50 WPC would really power the RF3's though? Sure I like my music clear, but loud too :)

Matt

p.s. anybody keen on guinness here besides me ?

Yo Josh, yeah the RF-3 II's are pretty sensitive at 98 dB/W/m.

On a side note though, you guys know of any older really good 5.1 receivers, possibly "used to be top-of-the-line" ? I will only be using 5.1, so features like DTS-ES and ProLogic II don't matter. I'm looking to spend around $500, so give me some suggestions ! You might even have one sitting around you could let me take off your hands 1.gif

Matt

My AVR 210 is a couple of years old and does 2 channel at 50W and 5 channel at 40W. My KLF-20's are a bit more sensitive at 100dB, but let me tell ya, in 2 channel, there is no way in the world I can max out the HK without incurring hearing damage. I am also quite satisfied with the performance in 5 channel. My listening area is 23x13. If your dealer has a return policy, give the HK a try.

Guiness is some fine stuff.16.gif

I have a yamaha HTR-5540.

The yamaha has been excellent for HT use but at louder volumes on my heresies it sounds a tad on the harsh side of things.

I have been extremely happy with it for movies it's just not the greatest for two channel stuff.

75 watts per channel.

DTS.

DD5.1

Pro Logic I and II

All the typical stuff.

$300 at best buy

Peace, Josh